• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

UNLIMITED DATA PLANS: i received a text warning/reduced data speeds @ ONLY 2 GB, in error, from at&t

here's the problem with that...i'm sure that the conversation that took place between me and the CSR was not taped for quality or training purposes. I'm sure that it "never existed" as far as they are concerned. That or, "you probably just misunderstood what I said sir". It's a sad thing. I'm sure the poor woman slipped, because I kept repeating myself. "How can I live in the 4th largest city in the US, A city with a population of 2.2 million people...and be in the top 5%...having only used less than 3gb". She was flustered for sure...

Upvote 0
Ues, you are right! Thats how theyve "explained away" so called mistatements in the past. No way they can get away how one cust gets throttled at 2 and others after 10+

Its all crooket and coming to the surface.

Unfortunately they got me...i had to change...i mean, i didn't have much choice at that point, because a throttled data plan is a useless data plan. Since I AM the top 5%, I'm sure i would be every time. The more people worry about being throttled, the less data they use. The more people conserve, the lower "top 5%" gets. They will win this one.

I could be all pissed off about it, but honestly my only real bitch is that they aren't being upfront about it. "Ok guys, we're not gonna give you unlimited data anymore, because we don't have to and we want to charge you" Would it make me mad? ...yes Would I have more respect for them, compared to "throttling"? ...yes.

Upvote 0
Yep this was foreseen and theyve found a way to finally shake the rest from our plan. I have yet to see the msg. But, like youve pointed out... The more reserve others are...t he more chances you get in the top 5...depending on what the max is for that cycle....sad

Its only a matter of time before they send it to my wife, and she always uses less than 1 gb...craziness...

Upvote 0
there's no explanation for this. Absolutely no reasonable acceptible reason for this. WE need that lady who spearheaded the online petition against Bank of America and Verizon to be our spokesperson (kidding) .. but really, something need to be done.. aTT is sticking it to us ....again (in addition to the DOUBLED rates for upgrading which goes in effect this weekend)

Upvote 0
There was an article about it on the msnbc website today in case anyone cares.

AT&T customers surprised by 'unlimited data' limit - Local News - Clarksburg, WV - msnbc.com

doesnt sound good for us.

I hate to be the one to roll over and take it, but as I posted earlier...a throttled data plan is a useless data plan. That is compounded exponentially by the fact that I really really like my LTE. Unless we can pull off a class action suit, i'm gonna have to be resigned to pay...

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
I hate to be the one to roll over and take it, but as I posted earlier...a throttled data plan is a useless data plan. That is compounded exponentially by the fact that I really really like my LTE. Unless we can pull off a class action suit, i'm gonna have to be resigned to pay...

Sadly this is alll att customers can do.. The etfs for multi lines alome would break you. I posted the scenario of what might happen if the deal fell through on attwireless some time back.. Stated that fees will increase, not next year but soon after the failed venture... guess what, the goonmods pulled the posts closed the folder before it could be discussed...

Now we see increased upgrade fees up 100% in less that 3mos after the failed takeover, increased rates for data...and of course the hidden method of throttling the LIMITED-Ulimited.... Big business at its best.

Reactions: chall80
Upvote 0
Sadly this is alll att customers can do.. The etfs for multi lines alome would break you. I posted the scenario of what might happen if the deal fell through on attwireless some time back.. Stated that fees will increase, not next year but soon after the failed venture... guess what, the goonmods pulled the posts closed the folder before it could be discussed...

Now we see increased upgrade fees up 100% in less that 3mos after the failed takeover, increased rates for data...and of course the hidden method of throttling the LIMITED-Ulimited.... Big business at its best.

It's big business, but not good business...I do recall your predictions, and I had to agree then. It just amazes me that these business choices are made, and they try to word it like they're doing us a favor. If thats the kind of favors they give...i don't want anymore...

Upvote 0
You remember that post on attwirelessforum? Small word! It seems that Sprint is the last one standing as far as unlimited data.... Who knows, if they anage to turn this into an Ace card, Sprint might be come the next big kid on the block (if customers flock to S)

ATT would really have to piss me off bad. I have 5 lines on my account, and buying them out would be painful...

Upvote 0
That woudhurt royally if you were p'd off to point of etf. I have 3line, I can only imagine 5!

i just upgraded two of them, so you know that would hurt oh so badly. I did get them to give me full upgrades for one phone 1.5 months early, and another one 3 months early...both on the same day!

Regardless...they ought to be throwing free stuff my way. I have 4 smart phones and one regular line. I pay 100 buck a month for data...

Upvote 0
Yes you would think so. Unfortunately theres no such thing as a "valued customer" nor does it matter to them how much we pay for our accounts... A $400/month customer is the same as a $15/month customer...they only want their money.

Wouldbe nice if they offered some sort of discount when a bill goes to a certain level...sort of showing their appreciation....but we would be dealing with heartland-mom/pop shop-type businesses that appreciate our "business"

Reactions: chall80
Upvote 0
Yes you would think so. Unfortunately theres no such thing as a "valued customer" nor does it matter to them how much we pay for our accounts... A $400/month customer is the same as a $15/month customer...they only want their money.

Wouldbe nice if they offered some sort of discount when a bill goes to a certain level...sort of showing their appreciation....but we would be dealing with heartland-mom/pop shop-type businesses that appreciate our "business"

Its all just a scam...overcharging for services should be illegal, but then I guess we'd be involving governmental entities...don't get me started on that one! LOL

Upvote 0
Its all just a scam...overcharging for services should be illegal, but then I guess we'd be involving governmental entities...don't get me started on that one! LOL

Im sure we all would be fumed at finding out how much we get overcharged.
exame as a novelty , I used to subscribe to ringback ringtones for .99. Now it went up to 2.99$....what thu...? I cancelled it.

Upvote 0
Im sure we all would be fumed at finding out how much we get overcharged.
exame as a novelty , I used to subscribe to ringback ringtones for .99. Now it went up to 2.99$....what thu...? I cancelled it.

Calling any other mobile number is free, but calling a land line uses minutes. I have a 1400 min plan...collectively we use about 250 of our anytime minutes a month...i have to keep that plan though, because it allows me to keep my "a-list". Without the a-list, i'd need more than 1400 min. Using the service doesn't cost them more to call a land line than a mobile....just ridiculous....

Upvote 0
Calling any other mobile number is free, but calling a land line uses minutes. I have a 1400 min plan...collectively we use about 250 of our anytime minutes a month...i have to keep that plan though, because it allows me to keep my "a-list". Without the a-list, i'd need more than 1400 min. Using the service doesn't cost them more to call a land line than a mobile....just ridiculous....

Looks like you have a good deal with that plan and the A-List! That would be hard to let go. I got unlimited minutes (fam) on three lines. I got great call quality and service i cant complain. and data connection is very good (but i will link to wifi at all chances ) I STAY on wifi at home.

Upvote 0
Looks like you have a good deal with that plan and the A-List! That would be hard to let go. I got unlimited minutes (fam) on three lines. I got great call quality and service i cant complain. and data connection is very good (but i will link to wifi at all chances ) I STAY on wifi at home.

A-list really is a great plan for my needs. The wife can call my work phone or her family at home as much as she wants. It keeps me out of a land line, and that is always preferrable. My call quality is usually pretty good, as long as i'm not on the phone when I pass this one particular hospital, or one specific overpass. The phone will drop in those two places every time. That, and I can get LTE at my office, but not at home 4 miles away...but that will change i'm sure...

Upvote 0
A-list really is a great plan for my needs. The wife can call my work phone or her family at home as much as she wants. It keeps me out of a land line, and that is always preferrable. My call quality is usually pretty good, as long as i'm not on the phone when I pass this one particular hospital, or one specific overpass. The phone will drop in those two places every time. That, and I can get LTE at my office, but not at home 4 miles away...but that will change i'm sure...

Yes, I get LTE at the office and now have 3G but my device register it an Hsdpa signal since the network upgrades. So even when I am not using my home wi-fi, I can surf fluently on my device. But I STAY on wi,fi so "not" to use my "unlimited"...how contradicting is that, lol

You are putting your a-list to excellent use!

Upvote 0
TO AT&T:
I have been a multi-line AT&T/Cingular/CingularOne customer since 1999. After going round and round on the AT&T website to make a simple comment/complaint, for which there is no easy way to accomplish this, I want to express my total displeasure here in this forum with the throttling of my download speed to that of dial-up. I'd like to point out the fact; I've been patiently waiting for a usable true 4G network, still waiting. Guess that's not happening but that is what I have been paying for since I renewed with AT&T. AT&T

Upvote 0
:mad:

11/22/2011

i received in error, a text warning/reduced data speeds @ ONLY 2 GB of use (non wifi)! happened today.

i am a sgs2 and use microcell @ home, and the sgs2 only has hspa+.

even though i am paying $30 per month for the unlimited plan, it is really now a 2 GB plan, and after 2 GB, they slow you down. i confirmed my data use this month and at&t said it was the top 5%, @ 2 GB, but they said it was in error. i do NOT use wifi at home, nor outside my home. this is for my non wifi data usage, period.

why do i not believe that i am in the top 5% with only 2 GB??????? hmmmmmmmmm.

per the at&t text message: "your data usage this month is in the top 5% of users. use wi-fi to help avoid reduced speeds in future bill cycles".

this is a lie. they reduce your speed, as explained by customer service, until the end of your CURRENT bill cycle.

I got txt and this is part of the email AT&T sent me.

Like other wireless companies, AT&T is taking steps to manage exploding demand for mobile data. We're responding on many levels, including investing billions in our wireless network this year and working to acquire more network capacity.
As mentioned on a previous bill, we're also taking additional, more immediate steps to help address network congestion and improve reliability. One of these steps involves a change for some customers who use extraordinarily large amounts of data in a single billing period - about 12 times more data than the average smartphone user.
For the current billing cycle, your data usage indicates you could be affected by this change. Here's how it works:
Smartphone customers with unlimited data plans may experience reduced speeds once their usage in a billing cycle reaches the level that puts them among the top 5 percent of heaviest data users. These customers can still use unlimited data and their speeds will be restored with the start of the next billing cycle.
We're writing because you are in the top 5 percent of heaviest data users for this billing cycle. Because we recognize that data usage can change from month to month, you will not see reduced speeds this billing cycle.
Beginning with your next billing cycle, we'll send you a text message if you are approaching the top 5 percent of heaviest data users. We'll also send you a second text message if you cross into the top 5 percent of heaviest users, at which point you may see reduced speeds for the rest of the month.
Customers have several ways to manage extremely high data usage.

I live in Santa Cruz, so wi fi is not easy to come by unless you go drink coffee all day..lol

I got txt last night and email this morning....

Upvote 0
Sadly we arent like the verizon customers.. All they have to say I a no and its done. For us, att tells us we are top 5 and they dont feel obligated in the least bit to provide proof or otherwise.

Yep, theyve found their niche for taking the unlimited away completely . It may be "labeled" unlimited, but its a straight up-tiered plan on atts system.

And these erroneous text messages we get are sad. All of this annd the repercussions of the failed tmo deal is making some very unhappy customers.

Upvote 0
Well, I woke up this morning and found the warning text message on my phone. Immediately checked my data usage and was at 2049mb, so basically 2gb. I think the "top 5%" is a lie and what it really is, is "you've used 2gb of data"

Billing cycle ends at the end of the month. I will have to check past bills and see what my data usage was like because i really have not done anything out of the ordinary with my phone this month, in other words I believe I've probably used just as much if not more data in a month at some point in the past.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones