• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocked or locked?

Hi,

my first time here and although I'm pretty computer literate, what I know about smart phones could be written on the bank of a postage stamp; and that will now become very quickly apparent ;-)

I live in Israel and my cellphone provider is Orange.

I travel a little, but mostly only to Europe and the UK (the UK is not sure if it's in Europe or not).

Will probably buy a Galaxy 3

And now for the questions.

Should I buy an unlocked phone?; I can get one sent from either the US or the UK.

If I buy an unlocked phone, please explain what I would then have to do to get it working in Israel.

And what I would have to do to get it working if I'm in Spain? - for example.

If I get a locked phone from Orange or whoever in Israel then what happens when I travel.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Michael

To use an unlocked phone with a network you just put a SIM from that network in it.

A locked phone will only accept one network's SIM.

So if you would keep your home network's SIM in when travelling and pay the roaming charges then it may not make much difference to you. If you prefer to use a local SIM when abroad you want an unlocked phone (or to get your locked one unlocked).

Upvote 0
To use an unlocked phone with a network you just put a SIM from that network in it.

A locked phone will only accept one network's SIM.

So if you would keep your home network's SIM in when travelling and pay the roaming charges then it may not make much difference to you. If you prefer to use a local SIM when abroad you want an unlocked phone (or to get your locked one unlocked).

Thanks for the reply!

So if I go somewhere outside of Orange Israel for a couple of weeks, I'd buy a local SIM?

Right now, I'm not connected to the Internet via Orange, so would my present SIM work, and I'd just tell them to change my package?

If I'm abroad and buy a local SIM card; why would it connect to the Internet.

Sorry for the moron questions :-(

I could talk to Orange here of course but they'd most likely recommend the best package for them ;-)

Thanks again,

Michael

Upvote 0
You can always enable international roaming and use your Orange SIM. Of course that will cost more - I don't know the Israeli tarrifs, but it's commonly data use when roaming that you really need to watch, as that easily runs up a huge bill. Remember that if you get a data bundle set up on Orange in Israel that inclusive allowance only works on your home network - any data you use abroad will be charge extra, and at a much higher rate.

If you visit a particular country regularly, or will be there for a while, then obtaining a local pay as you go SIM is almost certainly more cost-effective than roaming with your home SIM. The drawback is that your phone number changes (because it is the SIM, not the phone, which determines the phone number), so anyone you want to be able to call you needs to be told the number (which you won't know until you've bought the SIM). You can get data with PAYG SIMs - you should be able to look up the prices etc on the web in advance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones