• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocking a Boost Mobile phone

CPTDan

Lurker
Jan 17, 2014
Good Afternoon everyone,

My wife and I are thinking of switching from Boost to T Mobile since they now offer no contract service and better band width. My wife owns a Samsung Galaxy and we are trying to unlock it so we can switch over. It has a 14 digit code and the services that I have visited do not unlock Boost phones.

Hope that someone can help

Regards,

Rich

Good Afternoon everyone,

My wife and I are thinking of switching from Boost to T Mobile since they now offer no contract service and better band width. My wife owns a Samsung Galaxy and we are trying to unlock it so we can switch over. It has a 14 digit code and the services that I have visited do not unlock Boost phones.

Hope that someone can help

Regards,

Rich

I'm sorry but Boost is a cdma network and TMobile is a gsm (uses sim card) network so your Boost mobile phone will not work with TMobile.

Upvote 0
MLSS,

Thanks for your response. Since both Boost and T-Mbile use the Samsung Galaxy if i bought a sim card from T Mobile would that work on the Samsung phone we purchased from Boost. I do not know what a cdma network is I thought that all phone used sim cards.

Cdma phones do not use sim cards, so Sprint (boost) and Verizon are cdma networks that do not use Sims and AT&T and TMobile use gsm phones which use sim cards so there is really nothing you can do.

Upvote 0
MLSS,

Thanks again for your response, while I accept the fact that I am basically screwed on this, I am still a bit confused since all of the networks use a Samsung Galaxy and when you go to a store like Best Buy they have the same Samsung model on the shelf for each company, at least they look the same and have the same operating system.

Regards,

Rich

Upvote 0
Hello again CPTDan. It's true they look alike and are similar in many ways. They do have different hardware and radios for the different carriers. Samsung is very popular and make devices for many different carriers. You will find by looking into most Samsung support areas we have they will contain root information for the model and it's carrier. They are enough different that the root process is different for each.

Upvote 0
Thanks MLSS,

So I guess the days when you could plug any phone into the wall and it worked are long gone. I support legislation that forces carriers to allows you to use your old phone when you switch how about you? These things are several hundred dollars when I leave a carrier I should be able to take it with me. Thanks again for all of your help.

Rich

Upvote 0
Thanks MLSS,

So I guess the days when you could plug any phone into the wall and it worked are long gone. I support legislation that forces carriers to allows you to use your old phone when you switch how about you? These things are several hundred dollars when I leave a carrier I should be able to take it with me. Thanks again for all of your help.

Rich

Most carriers have a bring your own device (byod) policy, but of there are 2 different technology's when it comes to networks that carriers use so this is an issue you will run into.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones