• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unlocking HTC Desire Telus

it will not void warrenty (unlocking via code), but it would void the telus/bestbuy/futureshop/walmart return policy. So if anything happens, you can still go to htc.

I am not making much progress, but I have pretty well established that HTC will not honour warranty for a phone has been unlocked. I am trying to get HTC to tell me this directly.

How I found out was that HTC refused help and referred me to Rogers, who is my carrier. Rogers says that they will repair the phone at my cost. They told me that HTC won't honour the warranty.

Upvote 0
I am not making much progress, but I have pretty well established that HTC will not honour warranty for a phone has been unlocked. I am trying to get HTC to tell me this directly.

How I found out was that HTC refused help and referred me to Rogers, who is my carrier. Rogers says that they will repair the phone at my cost. They told me that HTC won't honour the warranty.
I think Rogers are getting confused with debranding ;)

Upvote 0
Got a telus htc desire and got it unlocked put my rogers sim card in it and it works fine but im not getting any data at all dose anyone know how i can fix this
The phone does not have the proper APN mobile data settings for Rogers since it has the Telus settings. What you need to do is alter or delete the Telus settings (a factory reset wipes it too) and enter the Rogers settings manually. It's easy, but you have to make sure you type it out correctly or you won't get a connection.

To enter them, press Menu, Settings, Wireless and networks, Mobile network, Access point names, press Menu, Add or New APN.

These settings are directly from Rogers' Redboard forum and it works on my Desire on Rogers:

Rogers Access Point Settings

• APN: rogers-core-appl1.apn
  • Proxy: <not set>
  • Port: <not set>
  • Username: <not set>
  • Password: <not set>
  • Server: <not set>
  • MMSC: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
  • MMS Proxy: 10.128.1.69
  • MMS Port: 80
  • MCC: 302 (retrieved from SIM)
  • MNC: 720 (retrieved from SIM).
  • Authentication type: <not set>
  • APN type: <not set>
Any other settings you see you can ignore. Make sure you press Menu, Save, then tap on the little round button at the right of the Rogers name to highlight it which enables the new APN setting. It will take a few minutes to get a connection as it needs to authenticate you.

Once you get it up and running, you'll have 3G/HSPA data, but you may not have EDGE/GPRS when out of the 3G coverage. To fix this, you need to flash a generic firmware on the phone like I did to get full coverage. You can also update to Froyo v2.2 doing this and get updates directly from HTC instead of Telus. See this thread for details:

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/148932-froyo-ruu-update-available.html

Make SURE you create a working goldcard from your included memory card first, and it will work fine.
:)

Reactions: LordInsidious
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

HTC will not honor the warranty of any phone after it is unlocked. I have been on the phone with them many times and their standpoint is if you do anything to the phone, no matter how minuscule, it is not the way they gave it to you and so voids your warranty.

Telus and Rogers use third party repairing facilities. They are not fixed by HTC directly and thus why HTC has nothing to do with repairs. If you pay Rogers they will give it to a third party to fix. Not sure how much they are charging you.

I have no idea if they can tell if it has been unlocked or not. I would go to another store and see if you can pretend it's not unlocked. Actually if you don't have a Telus contract then yea your SOL.

Good luck! Sorry for the bad news.

Upvote 0
The phone does not have the proper APN mobile data settings for Rogers since it has the Telus settings. What you need to do is alter or delete the Telus settings (a factory reset wipes it too) and enter the Rogers settings manually. It's easy, but you have to make sure you type it out correctly or you won't get a connection.

To enter them, press Menu, Settings, Wireless and networks, Mobile network, Access point names, press Menu, Add or New APN.

These settings are directly from Rogers' Redboard forum and it works on my Desire on Rogers:

Rogers Access Point Settings

• APN: rogers-core-appl1.apn
  • Proxy: <not set>
  • Port: <not set>
  • Username: <not set>
  • Password: <not set>
  • Server: <not set>
  • MMSC: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
  • MMS Proxy: 10.128.1.69
  • MMS Port: 80
  • MCC: 302 (retrieved from SIM)
  • MNC: 720 (retrieved from SIM).
  • Authentication type: <not set>
  • APN type: <not set>
Any other settings you see you can ignore. Make sure you press Menu, Save, then tap on the little round button at the right of the Rogers name to highlight it which enables the new APN setting. It will take a few minutes to get a connection as it needs to authenticate you.

Once you get it up and running, you'll have 3G/HSPA data, but you may not have EDGE/GPRS when out of the 3G coverage. To fix this, you need to flash a generic firmware on the phone like I did to get full coverage. You can also update to Froyo v2.2 doing this and get updates directly from HTC instead of Telus. See this thread for details:

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/148932-froyo-ruu-update-available.html

Make SURE you create a working goldcard from your included memory card first, and it will work fine.
:)

I have had the same problem. I unlocked my phone from TELUS to work.with bell. No 3g signal and not able to get data unless in a wifi zone.
Please help.......

Upvote 0
Just went to Mobile Canada https://www.mobileincanada.com/?l=en&id=y It cost me 20 dollars CDA with 2 dollars tax and they had me my unlock code for my HTC Desire /Telus in less than 10 mins - and that's with a 1 hr time difference between Provinces and they corresponded with me while i waited :) ...Not bad - considering my old provider Telus wanted to charge me 250.00 dollars on a reconnect up from an early cancellation due to a mix up !! And 50 dollars to unlock it to boot only after 90 days of being in good standing from there on out! Screw that !!!!!

20 dollar a month Prepaid ( Bell )here i come thanx to Mobile Canada :)

Upvote 0

Lies! You bought no such code. You work for this company. Unfortunately, we have a free solution. In fact if you weren't so intent on conning people out of their money, you would have seen the link to the free utility, posted immediately before your post.

Please advertise your services ethically (i.e not pretending to be a satisfied customer) and intelligently (learn your market or you look foolish like today)

Upvote 0
Lies! You bought no such code. You work for this company. Unfortunately, we have a free solution. In fact if you weren't so intent on conning people out of their money, you would have seen the link to the free utility, posted immediately before your post.

Please advertise your services ethically (i.e not pretending to be a satisfied customer) and intelligently (learn your market or you look foolish like today)

I took a quick scan through the thread but couldn't find the free link that you were referring to. Also can the method you talk about be used on Telus HTC Desire HDs that have Gingerbread as their stock ROM? I have found some how-to's but they aren't for the Gingerbread versions.

I have managed to unlock the bootloader via HTC dev way (after the phone went through 3-4 updates to be able to get its hboot upgraded) and I have got root too with clockwork recovery (not touch didn't bother with that yet)

I have also had a quick look thorough some of the mounted blocks for the sim code but couldn't locate it just in case I happened across a how-to similar to the method used to remove the simlock for the OneS (if anyone needs the link post a reply and i will give it to you. I can't post links as this is my first post here.

Even though I went off and wrote an intro to cover that clause but it isn't working) ANyway if you have any links that can help me thank you in advance. \Have a great and in true nerd geek fashion, may none of your phones end up bricks:smokingsomb:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones