• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help unrooted, on stock, how to update

mrhomiec

Android Enthusiast
May 16, 2010
Arizona
i've had my Nexus 7 since launch month, and rooted it immediately. i took the plunge yesterday to unroot and return to stock using this guide:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1907796

because of this, i have no idea how updates are applied to the device. :p
(since i've always just flashed a custom ROM)

so i'm on 4.2.2, but according to the Bluebox Security Scanner, my device is still affected by the "MasterKey" exploit.

i originally came from CM 10.1.2, that had patched the exploit, but i coulda sworn Google patched this as well.

am i missing a step or something?

You can check in settings to see if you have an update, I think it's settings>about>software update.

As far as I know, google patched the issue in the app store. Meaning nothing can get in the app store with the security hole. I don't know if google has updated the stock ROMs for the nexus line with the security patch.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones