• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updated Motorola Assist app fixed a problem for me

doogald

Extreme Android User
Jan 7, 2010
Yesterday Motorola posted an update to the Assist app on the Google Play Store. This update has a fix for a problem I was having.

In one of my cars I have a Kenwood bluetooth stereo. If I am listening to media from my phone on the stereo, I would get no audio interruptions from the Assist app - received text messages, phone calls, etc. I could see the display of the phone asking if I wanted to have the messages read, but they would never play on the unit or the on the phone.

The new Assist app, in the "Driving" mode, when you tap the right arrow next to "Talk to me", has a new hotlink at the bottom that says, "Having audio issues with Bluetooth?" When I tap that, it gives an option between "standard audio channel" and "alternate audio channel". Changing to the alternate channel has solved that problem for me. When I am listening to media and a text message arrives, the media will pause and the Assist and Touchless controls app will take over and ask if I want to listen to the message, read it to me if I say "listen", and offer to reply. When all of that is done, it goes back to playing music. This also works for directions while navigating in Google Maps and using touchless controls to call somebody, compose a text message, etc.

Reactions: 330D

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones