• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Updating from 2.3.4 to ICS

anon17

Lurker
Oct 23, 2013
Hi, im aware that the update may not be available in my region as the PC companion says that my phone is up to date.

i may have to root it, however i know nothing about this and so if i do need to root my phone to get the update, can anyone guide me with the simplest instructions?

thanks

You don't need to root the phone to update it to 4.0.4, as it is an official ROM.
- get the very handy Xperia tool: Flashtool @ http://www.flashtool.net
- download your ROM from one of the links provided @ Tutorials | Firmware | FAQ | First Aid - Updated 7/6/2013 - Downloads available! - xda-developers (post #3)
- install Flashtool and run
- unzip the ROM (you should be left with a .ftf file)
- turn off your phone and do not connect it to the computer yet
- drag the FTF file into Flashtool
- a window will pop up with the ROM info
* BE SURE YOU UNCHECK "WIPE DATA"
- click okay, wait a minute or so, and Flashtool will prompt you to connect your phone (while holding the Volume Down button)
- wait wait wait, and you should be upgraded

Some recommendations BEFORE upgrading:
- make a backup of your current ROM (see How to backup ANY Sony Xperia firmware using Update Service and the FlashTool - YouTube )
= Root and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
- I used [04/Jan][ROOTING/UNROOTING] DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit [v4.0](zergRush Exploit) - xda-developers to root Android 2.3
- then install CWM Recovery using [Daily Update]SE Extreme Tweak Installer v1.8 - Update 11/18/2011 - xda-developers , and use it to create a backup of your phone
- finally, before upgrading, see [ROOT+BB+CWM] ICS and non rootable GB build - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Previously mentioned links to XDA have links to OFFICIAL ROMs (both for Android 4.0.4 and 2.3.4.). Sorry, it's not for the lazy, since lazy people tend to brick their phones because they want fast and easy, and don't read/understand the instructions.

PS. No modifications are necessary to flash to official ROMs from the instructions above.
The second set of instructions are modding, but those aren't required. They're just my recommendations to save you time later on, especially if you want to downgrade back to 2.3.4 :).

PPS. Since I'm in a generous mood, here is a direct link to the post with official ROMs:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=27376024&postcount=3
4.0.2 = Android 2.3.4
4.1.B = Android 4.0.4

With official Sony apps, it is not possible to downgrade once you've installed 4.0.4.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones