• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Updating GT-N7000

Hi,

For a few days now, Kies is telling me that there is a new firmware for my phone, and telling me to update. Kies would say that it is downloading something, and then about ten minutes more, download something else. This second download, however does not complete because the computer for some reason reboots (this second download takes about three hours). I have changed the power settings on the computer but it still reboots.

I don't think this reboot is normal because the end result is that I don't get updated.

Any help will be greately appreciated.

If it helps I am using windows xp

Ok, try this.

Start Kies on your pc(without your phone being connected) and click help/update to check if there is an update for Kies itself. If there is, download and install it then restart your pc.

Now start Kies and once it has loaded connect your phone and wait and see if any updates are found. Can you now install any updates found?

May I ask what your approximate location is and also what is your current firmware version?

Upvote 0
I have the latest version of Kies, I have uninstalled and installed that programme too many to remember.

This is the message I get for firmware upgrade:

Current Firmware version : PDA:KK2 / PHONE:KK1 / CSC:KK2 (VNO)
Latest firmware version: PDA:LR3 /PHONE:LR1 /CSC: LR1(VNO)

and no, I have not tried to nor rooted my phone

I am in the Caribbean, and my android version is 2.3.6.

A friend and I bought our phones the same time (we both live in the same country), but he had a different carrier. His phone got updated, mine did not. I have switched to the same carrier as he, yet nothing is happening.

I will try what you say to see if anything will happen

Upvote 0
I think that update is ICS, probably 4.0.3(with a further update to 4.0.4 once it's been applied) or maybe it's 4.0.4 as it is.

I don't know why you're having problems with it, maybe someone else will be able to give you other suggestions.

If you manage to solve your problem it would be appreciated if you could post the outcome.

Upvote 0
I will.

I have downloaded Kies on four computers, only two would 'see' that my phone needed an update.

I will just have to wait a few more days to see what happens.

Is it possible for you to update the phone on your friends's PC? If it worked for him - who knows?

Alternativly, at a service centre. I have had that done once and it was FOC.

Finally, I suppose a hard reset might just be worth trying!

Upvote 0
There is hope that the other computers will update your phone. I use my primary computer the last time but this was not the case it did not upgrade my first one but my other computer with not too much programs did and as you were glad but even gladder when my primary computer did my last upgrade.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones