• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Updating stock ROM while rooted?

frrlod

Lurker
Jul 2, 2013
Hello guys!

My galaxy S4 I9505 is rooted and there's a new version of the stock ROM. I've read a guide which makes use of TriangleAway to temporarily "turn off root", so you can apply the update using OTA.

I'm not sure what OTA means so I'm not sure if this works. I wanted to ask you guys if it's safe to "turn off root/SuperUser" and install the update through the device (not kies/odin).

Thanks a lot.

OTA means Over the Air. I haven't tried Triangle Away for temp unrooting. Maybe someone here can answer your question.

Like Atma, I have never used Triangle Away to try and update OTA. Mainly because OTA updates are notoriously unreliable and I would prefer to download the stock firmware from SamMobile and flash via Odin it and the re-root as it is safer.

Upvote 0
ironass, would that work if my device is rooted? Do you know of any guide for that stuff?

Thanks for the replies by the way.

That is the best and safest way to do it on a rooted phone if you need to keep to your phone's original firmware.

1. Ascertain your phone's, "Version". See, "Tip:" in #2.0 of the Rooting Galaxy S4 - Dummies Guide

2. Go to the SamMobile site and register and then enter your CSC code minus the last 3 digits into the, "Search device here..." box in Firmwares. This will show you all the stock Samsung firmwares for your device including the one you are on. Choose the latest firmware for your code and download it.

3. Extract the .tar file and flash it in PDA on Odin via USB cable. You will lose root as you are flashing stock firmware which has a stock un-rooted kernel and so will need to re-root again using the earlier guide.

Alternatively, if you are not worried about having stock firmware to match your own, which most rooted users aren't, you can just flash one of the pre-rooted DjeMBeY ROM's to get the very latest Jelly Bean release, currently MF8. See, DjeMBeY ROM's i9505 - Dummies Guide. Please take the time to read all the instructions, carefully and thoroughly.

Reactions: lotus49 and frrlod
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones