• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Updating Unlocked Phones

iffrett

Nov 30, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I have some questions regarding updating... I bought my phone from AT&T and unlocked it to use with Rogers Wireless in Canada. I know that if there is going to be an OS update, the service provider will send it out to the phones. However, will Rogers know that I have the Captivate and automatically send me the update? I logged onto my account on their system and it used to show what phone I was using until I switched to the Captivate.

Whats the difference between Kies and Kies mini? I couldnt get my Kies to identify my phone when connected to my laptop, and I was hoping to avoid Kies altogether

Kies: data backup, transfer, multimedia management.

Kies mini: targeted towards firmware updates only.

Lotsa luck getting either to connect to your phone. They're both software offerings from hell.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones