• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgraded Messages app and now it shows unwanted info whenever I enter a website url, how to fix?

CaptainJ

Lurker
Sep 4, 2018
Hi folks, I joined this forum specifically for this one dilemma. (EDIT: I'd never even come to the site before this. My "lurker" ranking prompted this edit).

Let me start by saying this disclaimer like another user did....I am not very savvy at all with using smart phones. I prefer my desktop, and I'm not exactly savvy with many of the technical aspects of that either. I do NOT even like adding apps to my phone, if that gives you a good idea of who you're helping. :)

Fairly recently I upgraded the default "Messages" app on my phone(now version 3.3.044 ...that may have been the first time Ive ever looked at what version of anything was on my phone, other than the Android version...I didnt even know the app was called "Messages", I didnt even know I had a choice, it's just the default text message installed on my phone...if that helps you understand my level of knowledge of these things), and shortly thereafter noticed that whenever I entered a website url in my text messages, it now shows a different colored area with information about that website. This never happened before.

I find this very intrusive and annoying and would like to get rid of it. I mean, if I accidentally type a period between 2 words, it's showing some random website, and this doesnt happen until after I send the message.

I'd like to get rid of this new "feature", and have it stop posting this website info. Help?

I recently added Whatapp(kind of against my will, but I had to, in order to be part of this group for work purposes), and tonight it did the same thing on that when I posted a url. It's the first time I posted a url in it, so I dont know if it's related to this recently starting in my "Messages" app or if it's always been like that, but it's somewhat less of an issue than getting it to stop doing so in the "Messages" app(although when it happened in Whatsapp, that's what finally upset me enough to start searching the web for answers tonight, and then joining here).

Is there some sort of "option" I can change to turn this new feature off? Or do I have to do something that might not be too easy for me like roll back the version of the Messages app? If so, would I lose all my saved messages?

If it matters, my phone is a Moto G4 Plus, running Android 7.0. I am not sure what the previous version of my Messages app was.

If someone can help me fix this, I would be very grateful. Please assume a very basic understanding of smart phones, if that. This is been a humbling experience reaching out and typing this post. Thanks in advance.
J

How are you posting these url's?
Typing each character?
Don't you copy and paste them?

For example, I mentioned IMDB.com in a message, and then it gave some big blurb about the site. That of course was just typed, so that's generally the way I do it(I do it fairly infrequently). Or like I mentioned, one message where I just accidentally typed a period between two words, it showed some website info to the person I sent it to. It was kind of embarassing.

Tonight, I copied and pasted a url into WhatsApp, and it did the same thing, showing some whole blurb about that site as well. It's the first time I ever entered a url on there(Ive only been on there a few weeks), so I am not sure if that feature has always been on there since I got it or if it has something to do with this new "feature" my Messages app started doing after I upgraded it, maybe a few weeks ago.

Upvote 0
In the Messages app's settings (little 3 dot menu in top right corner when viewing list of conversations, then choose Settings) there is an option "Automatic link previews". Try turning that off.

It worked!! I'm very grateful, to me you live up to your VIP title! It it also helped me disable the "smart reply" suggestions that showed up when I updated, which I never used other than the time I hit on mistake.

Maybe I'll hang around here to see if there is anything else I can learn that isn't too intimidating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones