• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Upside Down Camera & No Screen Rotation

jond72

Lurker
May 24, 2014
Hello all,

I have a problem that is driving me insane. Before I outline it, screen rotation is activated and is ON...

For no reason today my S5 has developed 2 problems...

1) The default camera is displaying everything upside down (ie, inverted). All the 'buttons' (camera, video) are upside down but the image BEFORE I take a picture is the right way up. However, when I take a photo the image comes out upside down too.

2) No screens eg, Internet page etc, will rotate...they are all stuck in the vertical and won't go horizontal when the camera is moved.

Is there a fix?
Or is this a bug I've picked up?
Do I need to factory reset?

I'm a recent Iphone convert where backing up was simply connecting to Itunes. What's the best way to back up before a factory reset...or is it all backed up in my google account.

Please help - it's driving me mad!!!

Cheers
JD

Just an idea but does the screen rotation work properly throughout the rest of the phone other than the camera app. If so sounds to me like the camera itself is at fault. Have you tried using camera with phone rotation off and see what happens when you use camera app. I old I phone took a few pictures and flipped them upside down after I took the picture for no reason but I just wrote it off as a fluke and it never did it again. Hope you get it worked out.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

No the orientation doesn't work in anything else either. And it seems that any app that uses the internal 'gyroscope' doesn't work either. For example Temple Run 2 (where you tilt the screen to run etc) turns on in the upside down position - all non gyroscope apps are fine.

May be it's just a phone fault. But all was fine yesterday - it's a complete mystery. I've been told to take it into the phone supplier shop. I think it's either a fault or a virus I've picked up...unless any one knows any different?

Jon

Upvote 0
Okay problem solved...and here's how.

I thought perhaps the gyroscope is 'stuck'. I'm not at all technical but that was my deduction.

I then tapped the phone against the chair I was sat on and...voila! All resolved! Unbelievable.

I'm pretty sure that probably means I have a dodgy/faulty phone but it is resolved none-the-less. A good old-fashioned whack fixed it!

Reactions: Bsherwood1996
Upvote 0
Nope, but you could have just used a "figure 8" pattern to swivel your phone through.

The gyroscope has to be calibrated.

On my S5, when I first tried to use my 'GPS STATUS' app which has a compass, it was almost 180 degrees out of sync with north/south.

Having seen that before with my previous Galaxy 'S' model phone, I knew to just twist the phone in the air, tilting it over and around in a figure 8 pattern.... Wallah! Fixed.

That jar against the chair shocked the geo sensor causing it to try and recalibrate.

I would suggest that you go ahead and perform the Figure 8 pattern so there is no question about the phone's geo sensor being fully calibrated.

Upvote 0
Hey All with this problem. I don't know if this will solve your problem, or not. I had the same issue. I took out the battery(will not do a factory reset unless absolutely necessary) put it back in and rebooted the phone. That had NO effect. I then powered off the phone and restarted it..BINGO!! It worked, now the gyro works, camera is right side up, all works as it should..Hope this helps.
Randy

Upvote 0
The main menu screen has a settings icon - this is supposedly for settings other than the camera. Choose this "settings" icon to see a menu of options for supposedly non-camera things. Choose "Display" (7th choice on my phone). Then choose "Screen Rotation" (3rd choice on my phone). Make certain that screen rotation is OFF. I know this seems counter-intuitive but it fixed the upside down photo problem for me.

FYI: Also note that the other options screen in the Camera settings is scrollable. This will reveal many more options, for example the STORAGE (phone or SD card storage) setting. Scroll it up with your finger.

There may also be other settings that work in combination with this setting. For example in the Camera settings but this seems to be an important part of the solution; at least it was for me.

Upvote 0
Yesterday, suddenly & without provocation, I developed the same problem w/ my S5's auto-rotation (but not with the camera).

What resolved the issue was in 'Settings', 'Display', 'Auto-Rotation'. For some reason, the 'Auto-Rotation' feature was turned off. You did say you made sure yours was on; for me, I also had to see that "Smart Rotation" was NOT checked.

This solved the problem immediately. Admittedly, it does nothing to explain how the Auto-Rotation became disengaged in the 1st place.

Upvote 0
Hi.
Had an issue with rotation on my Galaxy S5. Did a factory reset - pulled the battery etc as above with no joy.

Then launched "application" manager via settings and moved all possible apps to sd card.
Restart.
Rotation working. . . :)

Hope this is of some help not sure i like the idea of dropping the phone to try and reset.

Upvote 0
This is so funny.
I am a teacher and use my phone to capture some of the activities I do with my students. I noticed a couple days ago the phone camera wouldn't take pics correctly. My rotation setting was on as well. Earlier today I dropped my phone on my sister's exercise bike. I was not aware of the wacking phone fix. I then came here looking for answers for this problem. Then remembering I dropped it earlier, i went into my camera and sure enough the problem is fixed.

Upvote 0
I had the same issue. Suddenly the screen was not rotating in any app. I had experienced a small fall in the last days, but also I had performed a massive apps update on my cell (20+ updates). I fixed the issue by starting my galaxy S5 in Safe mode and then checked that the gyroscope was working by using the commands "*#0*#" in the phone keyboard (without quotes). With this I was sure that it was not a hardware issue. Then, still in safe mode uninstalled about 10 apps which had recently been updated and that could potentially make use of the "rotating feature". Restarted my phone and issue fixed. I'm in the process of installing again one by one to see which app had the bug.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones