Urgent roaming help needed, please!

Last Updated:

1. Union Jack

Union Jack New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello

I live in England, but will be travelling to New York in a few days.

I have never used my smartphone (HTC Desire) abroad before.

What I want to know is if I only use the internet via Wi Fi, will this be charged for? I am on T Mobile here, and the data charges are terrifying!

I want to surf the web, and send and read e mail.

I have also been told about something called" Nimbuzz", can I really make international calls for free over the wi fi connection?

Please excuse my ignorance :D

Advertisement
  2. No_u

No_u Well-Known Member

Using WiFi is basically like connecting to the internet with your pc. The data does not go through any mobile network so using WiFi is always free. Well except if people code their hotspots and ask you money for the code.

If you want to be sure you aren't using any roaming there's an option in the connection settings that stops your phone from using data from any provider but t-mobile UK

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

I went to London and Paris last month and used zero mobile data even though I was connected through WiFi where it was available. I assume it works the same way coming to the US.

Go to settings>wireless & networks>mobile networks and make sure data roaming is NOT checked. And just to be safe, I only checked "Data enabled" when connected to WiFi.

In NY you should be able to find free WiFi pretty easily. Most Borders book stores and Starbucks offer it.

4. Union Jack

Union Jack New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks to both of you for the help.
    This is great news, and the Starbucks info is very handy