• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help US Cellular can't unlock my S4

Iowabucks1

Lurker
Sep 29, 2015
I have a Samsung S4 through US Cellular that has been thru the 2 year contract, then switched to another phone and carrier to save money. This phone is in good standing with US Cellular.

I decided to let my wife use the phone and went to my local US Cellular office to have it unlocked so I could use Straight Talk, as with my personal unlocked phone.

First thing they told me was sometimes these phones can be unlocked, sometimes not. And wouldn't you know it, my could not be unlocked. They didn't say much other than it couldn't be seen by their computers. She did try a couple different "toolboxes", but none would work.

I thought it was strange that they never even asked for any info on myself, or paperwork showing it was my phone. Not that that would matter anyway.

My question is, Is there anything else I can do in this situation to get my phone unlocked? I know there are sites out there that will give you an unlock code, but will it be any more effective than the US Cell office that already tried? I am a DIY kinda guy, with super slight tech and rooting capabilities. willing to give this a try on my own if I can find a fairly foolproof way.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones