• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Us rom nandroid backup

edtrud

Nov 9, 2012
Hello guys I have been struggling for a couple days after my phone was soft bricked and I was searching for a nandroid backup of the US version Virgin mobile backup. I have finally found one, thanks to a friend whos name I really dont know...

If you have time to Read through my whole post then go ahead otherwise I will post the backup link below...

So it it all started when I got my HTC Desire 816 from virgin mobile, and the day I got it I was so impressed by the phone... snappy processor and excellent display as well as the speakers.. I then went on rooting the device and installed a custom recovery CWM, and started experimenting from there. What came around and bit me in the butt is the fact that I have been using an iPhone (5s 64GB) for Virgin Mobile and completely forgot about the whole android backup/restore system that was designed in the custom recovery... I have gone back and forth between apple and android devices but i have always found myself back using android and my experience with it has been remarkable.. I have bricked many devices before but not once have I ever bricked and one of my devices ( Galaxy S2, Galaxy s3, Volt, ) to a point where it became a expensive paperweight. In other words every bricked device I had i found a solution to unbrick it. This was the case with the HTC desire 816 as well. My original intent was to get the Galaxy s5 from Virgin Mobile but the same day I found out that Virgin Mobile released a new phone the HTC desire 816 and for half the price of the s5. I know it was destiny and the same day I bought the htc desire 816. I bragged to my friends that this is a new phone that just came into the us and only Virgin mobile has this phone. The negative part to having a phone that was just released into US are the fact that there are no accessories for this phone in any stores in the US, and everything needs to be bought online, and the second part is that no online forums have yet to talk about the US version of this phone.

I am now beggining to get to the part of my adventure with the HTC Desire 816. If you have read everything so far, i can only say that this will be over soon.,,, lol So after rooting the HTC desire 816, I looked through many forums looking for information about tweaks and apps for this phone. Since i have been using an iphone ffor the last couple months I forgot all the tweaks and apps I used to use for my previous androids, and because of this i also forgot to create a nandroid backup of my device. This is when I came into trouble when i was removing bloatware from my device installed by virgin mobile, and I installed Titanium backup and I started freezing (Disabling) apps that i though i wouldnt need and that would cause my device to run slower. So here I am sitting at work messing around with my phone and deleting system apps. I ran into this app called HTC Blinkfeed and I thought that this app was like the others and just caused my device to run slower. Little that i knew that this following action would cause a snowball affect and screw me over. So right after I disabled HTC Blinkfeed I tried to go to my home page but i was greeted with a simple black screen. At this point my whole life would have been made easier if I just went back into the setiings and unfroze the app. But no i then restarted my phone and I was stuck on the HTC boot logo screen... I was so scared thinking that i bricked my device after only a week... I tried to enter recovery mode several times but I failed to, and the reason was that fastboot was on and the only way to turn off fastboot was to disable that in the settings... At that point I knew that my phone was bricked and I am screwed... thank goodness that htc has a built in feature where that if the bootloader is tampered with and the usb cable is connected to a computer then it automatically goes into recovery mode. At that point I started to looking through threads about HTC Blinkfeed being disabled and what should i do next. After no success in the HTC Desire 816 forum I went onto looking to the HTC one m8 (Sprint) forum because i knew that these phone are closely alike. No success there either and I started thinking of other alrternatives... I though that if i found a flashable zip of htc blinkfeed that flashing that through recovery would fix this problem. But unfortunately it did not. I was very disappointing about this phone, and the only help i could find was about indian and chinese versions of this phone. I contacted HTC and asked them if they had a backup or RUU for this phone and VM version but no luck there. I then found a nandroid backup of this device... but it was a thailand version and i decided that I might as well of just install that and use it as a tablet with wifi.... That worked well and the phone was restored and working... but now i had no service and running in a foreign language. I started looking and messaging members who posted on xda about having problems with the hTC desire 816 VM variant. I couldnt find any help there and I went to anther forum in search for help. I searched through youtube videos and messages members there asking for their help... not a single person responded and I was stuck using a fancy wifi tablet phone. then I started searching for this phone on Craigslist hoping that someone was selling this phone in my local area hoping that it was rooted and that they could help me out. I only found 1 post of this phone in craigslist for virgin mobile and he lived about 200-300 miles away. I started text messaging him asking about the phone and he said that it was not rooted.... I knew that my luck ran out and that was my last straw and I should wait untill this phone came out of sprint and then i would surely find a backup. I started texting this person and it came out that he is also well versed in the art of the root... lol he knew about rooting and recovery and ruus... I started asking him if he could create a backup of the device and after a very long conversation he said that he would give it a shot. I thought that this was a typical excuse to get me off him. So i deicded to keep on searching for other ways to fix this issue. I found a post of the RUU for europe and thought that I could install it and maybe this version would work. I then talked to some staff on a different forum and they told me that I should not under any circumstances install a ruu for a different version of this device and that it could fry my phone. I then thought that perhaps running a Thailand backup would fry my sim card and then i was left hopeless of every having this phone workingt again.

Then I receive a message from my CL friend saying that he rooted the device and he is creating a backup... that was the best news i have heard and i knew that this could revive my phone. The worst thing about it was that my friend had 100 kb/s upload speed and the backup was 2GB.... It took several hours and his computer froze... So i had to wait another couple hours after that before his backup was uploaded.

I am proud to say that my faith in humanity is restored and I have a working HTC Desire 816! I dont know this persons name but I am very happy that there are people on this planet that would go out of there way to help another person. I have learned alot through this experience and I hope that this backup of the US version will help you too! Link will be posted below.

VM_HTC_Desire_816_Rooted_NandroidBackup download

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones