• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root USB Connection -- Windows Explorer Sees Only SOME Files & Folders

I have a Samsung Droid Charge (firmware 2.2.1; Baseband i510.06 v.EE4 adn SCH-I510.EE1; Kernal 2.6.32.9; Build SCH-I510.EE4). My PC is running Windows 7 Pro (64 bit).

When I connect my phone to my PC using a USB cable, Windows Explorer cannot see all of the files and folders that I can see on the phone itself using Astro or via Wifi File Explorer (a file browser that you use via a web browser on your PC --if this makes no sense, look in the Android Market for Wifi File Explorer).

I *do* have the Samsung USB drivers installed on my PC.

I have tried this on other PCs and Operating Systems (Windows XP Pro) and the result is the same.

This is not a situation of the "missing" files and folders being hidden or system or read-only. For example, about half of my \Music\ files and folders are visible and half are not, but all are DRM-free files that I placed on the SD card myself. And the "missing" files and folders aren't just music. There are all sorts of files on my SD card that don't show up via a USB connection, but do in other ways (using Astro on the phone and using Wifi File Explorer).

Does anyone have a clue what could cause this behavior? Or what the fix is?

I've had some problems with my DC not connecting through USB to my Laptop. The computer has an SD card reader. I always umounted my phone card, put it in an adapter and did anything I wanted on it through the card reader. You might try that if you have one.

Did your computer tell you that it had installed the drivers correctly when you first hooked it up? Mine would tell me it was unsuccessful when I tried it. Then yesterday I tried something different. I turned off the phone. Hooked it up through USB and held down the volume down button. This brought up the Downloading screen on the phone and the computer was able to correctly install the driver. It worked right after.

Upvote 0
The drivers installed on my Windows 7 Pro (64bit) system without any reported errors.

I tried powering off, then holding down the Volume Down button while plugging in the usb cable (and holding the button until something seemed to happen, which never did). I also tried powering off, plugging in the cable and then pressing Volume Down (and holding until something seemed to happen, which never did).

I've tried this on a Windows XP Pro (32 bit) PC and the behavior is the same. I only see *some* of the files and folders via USB. I strikes me as very odd that I can see all of the files using other methods (e.g. Astro on the phone and Wifi File Explorer on a PC), but not using USB.

Upvote 0
USB connection, in your notification tray "ongoing" you'll see "Connected as a ..."

is this showing "media device"? or "camera"?

If the latter, all you'll see is pictures in Windows file browser.

Media device will show everything.

To change it, you click on the "Connected as" notification and it will take you to Android settings...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones