• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Android Lost with an app locker

M

milesbennetdyson

Hi, I installed Smart App Protector a few months ago as I thought it might stop unscrupulous people getting at my email, Dropbox etc if I lost my phone/it got stolen. I've since discovered Android Lost and now have them both installed. My question is, would having certain apps locked prevent Android Lost from doing its business?

The apps I have locked are things like Dropbox, Gmail, Evernote etc (which I'm sure won't matter, they're just my personal info) but, I have also locked some apps that stop people uninstalling Smart App Protector such as Market, Settings and Package Installer. Would locking these prevent Android Lost from working, say if I wanted to wipe my SD card or turn GPS on remotely to find out where my phone is, seeing as GPS is in Settings.

Or would I better using just the basic Android pattern screen lock and Android Lost?

Check out avast mobile security.
It has theft aware. Basically you can set it to lock down your phone when an authorized sim card is used. You can also send your lost phone sms messages to lock it down, turn on the alarm siren, trace it via gps and even forward sms and listen in on calls of the thief using your lost phone.
It also disguises itself and cannot be erased on a hard reset on rooted phones.
The best anti theft app imho. And it's free!

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for your reply. I've had a look at Avast but it has antivirus which I'm not bothered about using, it's just in case I lose my phone so I can either track it, or failing that, wipe the phone so whoever has it can't access my data. Android Lost can do all that you mentioned above (not sure about listening in on calls actually) and I'd like to stick with it. It has as many features as a paid app but is free and only 120k. it doesn't poll to a server and so uses no extra battery. See what you think https://market.android.com/details?id=com.androidlost&hl=en

I suppose if I use the pattern lock anyway, a thief wouldn't be able to get into my phone (unless they worked out the pattern or had my username/pw - unlikely). So I might drop the app lock. I might do a few tests of my own.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones