• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Variable speed audio?

*bump*

My now-eight-year-old Creative Zen Xtra has this, as well as a $14 mp3 player that I bought at Microcenter about a year ago, and these devices can both speed the audio up and slow it down without changing the pitch. I've seen it referred to as time-scale and tempo control as well.

It's great for getting through audiobooks and spoken-word podcasts quickly, and I also often slow music down in order to play along on the guitar.

This is the last unfulfilled requirement keeping me from jumping on board with Android. It's a feature I'd really miss.

Are there any Android media players that support plugins like Winamp? If this is something that needs to be developed, maybe it would be easier to implement as a plugin rather than a separate application.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm the developer of Osplay, which is pretty much exactly what you want. I released the trial version today, which has an audio advertisement for the paid version occasionally, as well as AdMob ads. Speed multiplier is limited to between 0.8 and 1.25 (the full version can go from 0.4 to 2.0, but in practice anything below 0.6 doesn't sound very good, and faster hardware is required to increase the speedup; no device that I know of has a problem at 1.5, and a Droid is fast enough to hit 2.0).

img.php

The full version is available at
img.php

Upvote 0
I have downloaded your app and it is exactly what I want. As a developer of custom app for the handicap I was looking for this type of audio encoder with visual prompting. If you can point me to the resources you used it would be helpful. I do not intend to compete with your product. If need be I can give you my private email address.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones