1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Variable speed audio?

Last Updated:

1. leftystrat

leftystrat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone know of an audio player that will speed up the playback? It would be nice if it could keep the pitch the same but sped up is the goal. I used TCPMP on the Treo.

This is great for listening to podcasts in a fraction of the time. Depending on the original audio, I can generally make everything out up to +25%.

Thanks muchly.

Advertisement
  2. bkann

bkann New Member

*bump*

My now-eight-year-old Creative Zen Xtra has this, as well as a $14 mp3 player that I bought at Microcenter about a year ago, and these devices can both speed the audio up and slow it down without changing the pitch. I've seen it referred to as time-scale and tempo control as well.

It's great for getting through audiobooks and spoken-word podcasts quickly, and I also often slow music down in order to play along on the guitar.

This is the last unfulfilled requirement keeping me from jumping on board with Android. It's a feature I'd really miss.

Are there any Android media players that support plugins like Winamp? If this is something that needs to be developed, maybe it would be easier to implement as a plugin rather than a separate application.

Thanks!

3. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

That would be a very cool feature.

4. aocate

aocate New Member

Hi,

I'm the developer of Osplay, which is pretty much exactly what you want. I released the trial version today, which has an audio advertisement for the paid version occasionally, as well as AdMob ads. Speed multiplier is limited to between 0.8 and 1.25 (the full version can go from 0.4 to 2.0, but in practice anything below 0.6 doesn't sound very good, and faster hardware is required to increase the speedup; no device that I know of has a problem at 1.5, and a Droid is fast enough to hit 2.0).

[​IMG]

The full version is available at
    [​IMG]

5. danzman

danzman New Member

I have downloaded your app and it is exactly what I want. As a developer of custom app for the handicap I was looking for this type of audio encoder with visual prompting. If you can point me to the resources you used it would be helpful. I do not intend to compete with your product. If need be I can give you my private email address.