Verizon Android Plans? Difference between these?

Last Updated:

1. Spriter

Spriter Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys. I had a quick question about two different plans with Verizon.

I'm planning on buying the droid (or similar android device) in the few upcoming weeks. I looked over the plans for android phones and ... here's what confuses me:

Plan #1: If you go here and enter your zip code, and look at the "PDA/Smartphone Nationwide Email" plan for $79.99 - it includes:
    1.) 450 minutes,
    2.) unlimited mobile to mobile,
    3.) unlimited night/weekends,
    4.) Domestic long distance,
    5.) Unlimited web browsing/email
    6.) and $.20/message texting
    --$79.99/month.

Plan #2: If you go to the same link, and select the 39.99 voice plan (Nationwide Basic 450), then add the $29.99 Data plan for Smartphones, then add $5 texting plan - it comes out to $75/month and includes:
    1.) 450 minutes,
    2.) unlimited mobile to mobile,
    3.) unlimited night/weekends,
    4.) Domestic long distance,
    5.) Unlimited web browsing/email
    6.) 250 text messages/month
    --$74.99/month.

So wtf? Why would anyone select the $80 plan and pay 20 cents/txt rather than the $40 voice plan and add the same stuff in the $80 plan PLUS 250 text messages for LESS monthly cost?

I'm must be missing something, right? What am I missing? :(

I'm assuming both include GPS since they are android phones, right? Or is that what the $80 plan has over the $75?

What's everyone else going with?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. tlbj6142

tlbj6142 Well-Known Member

Good cach! That doesn't surprise me. There are often weird package combinations that work out to be cheaper than the "off-the-shelf" bundles. I've noticed similar things with various family plans.

3. TheBandit181

TheBandit181 Active Member

Plan 1 is for people who use wireless sync. It includes the 44.99 data features that have been discussed here recently.

Wireless sync is a service offered by VZW for WinMo and Palm devices to receive email and sync contacts, calendar, etc. Basically, it requires the sync computer to run a program, which syncs with their website and the website then syncs with the phone. This service will soon be retired.

4. shocker

shocker Well-Known Member

The pda/smartphone plan bundles your minutes with your data plan and puts you on the higher end data plan. Generally this was for people using wireless sync, bb enterprise/professional. On a droid you are fine using the 30 data plan even if you are using your exchange.