• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Android Plans? Difference between these?

Spriter

Nov 8, 2009
Hey guys. I had a quick question about two different plans with Verizon.

I'm planning on buying the droid (or similar android device) in the few upcoming weeks. I looked over the plans for android phones and ... here's what confuses me:

Plan #1: If you go here and enter your zip code, and look at the "PDA/Smartphone Nationwide Email" plan for $79.99 - it includes:
1.) 450 minutes,
2.) unlimited mobile to mobile,
3.) unlimited night/weekends,
4.) Domestic long distance,
5.) Unlimited web browsing/email
6.) and $.20/message texting
--$79.99/month.

Plan #2: If you go to the same link, and select the 39.99 voice plan (Nationwide Basic 450), then add the $29.99 Data plan for Smartphones, then add $5 texting plan - it comes out to $75/month and includes:
1.) 450 minutes,
2.) unlimited mobile to mobile,
3.) unlimited night/weekends,
4.) Domestic long distance,
5.) Unlimited web browsing/email
6.) 250 text messages/month
--$74.99/month.

So wtf? Why would anyone select the $80 plan and pay 20 cents/txt rather than the $40 voice plan and add the same stuff in the $80 plan PLUS 250 text messages for LESS monthly cost?

I'm must be missing something, right? What am I missing? :(

I'm assuming both include GPS since they are android phones, right? Or is that what the $80 plan has over the $75?

What's everyone else going with?

Thanks.

Plan 1 is for people who use wireless sync. It includes the 44.99 data features that have been discussed here recently.

Wireless sync is a service offered by VZW for WinMo and Palm devices to receive email and sync contacts, calendar, etc. Basically, it requires the sync computer to run a program, which syncs with their website and the website then syncs with the phone. This service will soon be retired.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones