• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Deletes Hotspot Feature From Motorola Droid

archer

Nov 13, 2009
From "InformationWeek"..

Verizon Wireless promised to deliver the Android 2.2 Froyo update to the Motorola Droid starting "this week." The update hasn't started rolling out yet, but InformationWeek has already learned some disappointing news about it. According to Verizon Wireless, two of the biggest features being introduced by Android 2.2 Froyo won't be included in the Droid update: tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot creation.

It is possible that Verizon Wireless is purposely leaving these features out of the Droid to entice customers to buy the Droid X (which offers hotspot creation) or the unannounced but imminent Droid 2. If that's the case, it is a low move and leaves Droid owners -- Verizon's first Android adopters -- hanging in the wind.

From "InformationWeek"..

Verizon Wireless promised to deliver the Android 2.2 Froyo update to the Motorola Droid starting "this week." The update hasn't started rolling out yet, but InformationWeek has already learned some disappointing news about it. According to Verizon Wireless, two of the biggest features being introduced by Android 2.2 Froyo won't be included in the Droid update: tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot creation.

It is possible that Verizon Wireless is purposely leaving these features out of the Droid to entice customers to buy the Droid X (which offers hotspot creation) or the unannounced but imminent Droid 2. If that's the case, it is a low move and leaves Droid owners -- Verizon's first Android adopters -- hanging in the wind.

I am sure if people on this forum read that post, they wont really care cause they have had 2.2 for ever now, along with WiFi.

Upvote 0
Well, the original droid is probably the most open Verizon phone out there, and I know people are already using their own version of Froyo on it. Those who don't know, won't care, those who do know, will have already enabled these features.

I agree it is a low blow, but I assume Verizon wants to stop supporting these in favor of the Droid 2. Who would upgrade if their original Droids had the same features?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones