Verizon Deletes Hotspot Feature From Motorola Droid

Last Updated:

1. archer

archer Member This Topic's Starter

From "InformationWeek"..

Verizon Wireless promised to deliver the Android 2.2 Froyo update to the Motorola Droid starting "this week." The update hasn't started rolling out yet, but InformationWeek has already learned some disappointing news about it. According to Verizon Wireless, two of the biggest features being introduced by Android 2.2 Froyo won't be included in the Droid update: tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot creation.

It is possible that Verizon Wireless is purposely leaving these features out of the Droid to entice customers to buy the Droid X (which offers hotspot creation) or the unannounced but imminent Droid 2. If that's the case, it is a low move and leaves Droid owners -- Verizon's first Android adopters -- hanging in the wind.

Advertisement
  2. HalfFrozen

HalfFrozen Well-Known Member

I am sure if people on this forum read that post, they wont really care cause they have had 2.2 for ever now, along with WiFi.

3. edgeman4

edgeman4 Well-Known Member

Well, the original droid is probably the most open Verizon phone out there, and I know people are already using their own version of Froyo on it. Those who don't know, won't care, those who do know, will have already enabled these features.

I agree it is a low blow, but I assume Verizon wants to stop supporting these in favor of the Droid 2. Who would upgrade if their original Droids had the same features?

4. snookie

snookie Active Member

Welcome to Verizon. Old habits dies hard.