Verizon Eris w/ Android 2.0?

Last Updated:

1. Kafke

Kafke New Member This Topic's Starter

I am planning on getting my first smartphone, an Eris. However, while comparing verizon's 2 droid phones, I noticed that the Eris is on android 1.5. Upon further research, I figured out that it was the sense UI that was holding it back.

My Question: Could I update the Eris to android 2.0, if I was willing to ditch the Sense UI? Or is there no way, and I am stuck with 1.5...

I'm kinda hoping I can update to 2.0, because there is some apps in the market place that require it. Other than the OS I like the Eris.

Advertisement
  2. gramenz

gramenz Member

Hello,
    You can do a search, there are several threads on this topic. The Eris will be getting Android 2.0, however it is not available for update yet.

3. Kafke

Kafke New Member This Topic's Starter

...So even if I don't care about the Sense UI, I'm still stuck with android 1.5?

That kinda sucks.

4. mimmic

mimmic Well-Known Member

I wouldn't blame the lack of 2.0 for the Eris on SenseUI alone. How many 2.0 phones are there on the market? 1.... And that's the moto droid. No other phone has made it to 2.0 yet that I'm aware of.

I'd rather have a solid 2.0 release with or without SenseUI than a buggy problem riddled one. (Moto Droid has had several software issues which is why they are updating to 2.1 so quickly, to resolve them)

5. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

The SenseUI makes a huge difference. It's a beautiful interface.

Droid can't match it.

I like the Eris better, after thoroughly using both. The 1.5 thing is not a big deal. Apps for Android are written in Java, and everyone and their brother knows java. What's my point?

There are T O N S of apps in the marketplace, that don't require 1.6 or 2.0. And tons of those apps are free as well. You're not missing much of anything. I promise.

6. davidkoby

davidkoby New Member

So when is the 2.0 update due out for the Eris?

7. Ataranine

Ataranine Well-Known Member

I hate the SenseUI. Makes my phone look like a toy. But I'd still never choose the Moto droid unless HTC does something about this buggy ass software... sooon.

8. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

First quarter 2010 has been mentioned as a release timeframe for 2.0 on the Eris.

9. Ataranine

Ataranine Well-Known Member

Fixed. :)