• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Fascinate

When I look at the Fascinate screen on youtube, why does it look so much better than everything else. I was really leaning toward the X, but this screen is so captivating. It's amazing! Is it me? Is it youtube? Or is it true? Is this screen so much better than everything else out there?

yes it is, here's a comparison to iphone screen. notice the difference in blacks

watch

Upvote 0
When I look at the Fascinate screen on youtube, why does it look so much better than everything else. I was really leaning toward the X, but this screen is so captivating. It's amazing! Is it me? Is it youtube? Or is it true? Is this screen so much better than everything else out there?
I think it the super AMOLED thing ;-) I currently use an Omnia 2 (WM omnia) with the original AMOLED and if though it would be considered first generation, the screen looks much nicer than most phone that I see...

Upvote 0
Thank you for the video! One thing I did notice was that the iPhone screen was brighter than the Fascinate, especially on the video and the web, but that the colors were deeper (more saturated?) on the Fascinate. We reading is important to me, as is text refitting on pinch to zoom. I am hoping that other web browsers will do that. I liked that on my Incredible. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
This comparison shows the Galaxy S brighter than the iphone 4. Not that you can understand the guy talking. Maybe its just the lighting.

WOW! That's different! The galaxy s is brighter that the iPhone in that video. Is it bright enough to make a difference to me? Not really. I'm still interested in the X. I'll buy the X and if I like the Fasc. better, I'll upgrade to that. Yes, I'm fickle.

Upvote 0
I hate to jump to conclusions, but this phone in my opinion is the front runner all around. I know each phone has its unique features, but I like this most from what I've seen because:

• eye candy: great layout and finish. Better looking than iPhone from what I can see.
  • size: 4" is the perfect size, at least for someone with normal to large hands.
  • AMOLED screen. Very nice
  • HD vid (I like this for the web sites I run)'
  • Hummingbird processor. Reviews sound great on this.

Looking forward to more info on this phone.

Upvote 0
YouTube - iPhone4 Vs Samsung Galaxy S

This comparison shows the Galaxy S brighter than the iphone 4. Not that you can understand the guy talking. Maybe its just the lighting.

Ok, this is the S and assuming the Fascinate has the same hardware, the S beats the iPhone on display. Looks crisper and brighter.

As far as speed, after the 2.2 update, I believe it will be faster than the iPhone.

Upvote 0
I hate to jump to conclusions, but this phone in my opinion is the front runner all around. I know each phone has its unique features, but I like this most from what I've seen because:

• eye candy: great layout and finish. Better looking than iPhone from what I can see.
  • size: 4" is the perfect size, at least for someone with normal to large hands.

Agree - this is a nice looking phone... I really wanted to jump in to android on the DINC, but didn't because I was unsure of HTC quality (I'm a long time Samsung user and have always felt their build was very good).... then with the lack of availability of the DINC and then the flurry of new phones, X and S and others... I'm glad I waited at least this time ...

My worry with this phone is that there are some great accessories touted for the Galaxy (desktop stand, car holder, etc.), but not sure which will be available for the VZ model ...

Would love to see someone leak a sell sheet with the phone and accessories ;-) ;-) Anyone?

Upvote 0
Agree - this is a nice looking phone... I really wanted to jump in to android on the DINC, but didn't because I was unsure of HTC quality (I'm a long time Samsung user and have always felt their build was very good).... then with the lack of availability of the DINC and then the flurry of new phones, X and S and others... I'm glad I waited at least this time ...

My worry with this phone is that there are some great accessories touted for the Galaxy (desktop stand, car holder, etc.), but not sure which will be available for the VZ model ...

Would love to see someone leak a sell sheet with the phone and accessories ;-) ;-) Anyone?

I really hope that VZW will also stand behind accessories...or even Samsung...I am sure they are striving hard to be at top in the competition, so it would only make sense to come out with more and better. Just my personal thoughts... :)

Upvote 0

yes, hence the name "fascinate"

i actually think it reproduces better images than the glorified ip4 screen.....but thats just me.

Upvote 0

The thing that bugs me is the (cheese) wiz interface. It appears to be what is causing the very annoying lag for opening apps. Inc, EVO and X all are instant for opening apps, but the Galaxy is much slower.

Upvote 0
The thing that bugs me is the (cheese) wiz interface. It appears to be what is causing the very annoying lag for opening apps. Inc, EVO and X all are instant for opening apps, but the Galaxy is much slower.

"Despite the 1GHz Hummingbird processor, the phone lags when launching apps, flipping through menus and scrolling down contact lists or Web pages. This could be due to the fact that this is a pre-production unit, however, and not everything is in perfect working order."
Samsung Galaxy S: How Does It Measure Up to the Competition? - PCWorld

I wouldn't worry too much about it at the moment. Plus with root achieved, buh-bye TouchWiz!

Upvote 0
Another killer is why only 2gb built in memory? All others have at least 8gb and two have a flash with at least 8gb. Why gimp the VZW version?

Epic would be epic if on VZW.

Not sure where you got your info, but it's wrong. The Fascinate has 2GB, the Epic has 1GB, the other two have 16GB. The Epic and Fascinate both come with a 16GB card and flash, the other two do not have flash.

Upvote 0
Another killer is why only 2gb built in memory? All others have at least 8gb and two have a flash with at least 8gb. Why gimp the VZW version?

Epic would be epic if on VZW.

I'm not sure why this 2GB internal memory thing is an issue. My Droid has nowhere near that (256MB if I recall) and I have no issues. 2GB internal memory would allow plenty of room to store apps and 16GB microSD is enough for me, or I can upgrade to 32 if necessary. If you really think you will be downloading thousands of apps, Android 2.2 allows apps2sd.

Upvote 0
Not an issue for me at all, nor is the lack of FFC. I was simply correcting the information for proper comparisons :)

I'm going to be getting the Fascinate when it drops, so you will find me defending it more often than not ;)

It's not an attack at all, nor was it directed at you (EDIT: fixed who I quoted to eliminate confusion), I just think some people are getting confused on internal memory vs RAM vs sdcard. I just wanted to put it into perspective that if 2GB is considered too small, then my Droid is an embarrassment! Yes, more would be desirable, but not an issue for me. And yes, you are correct about the FFC. I cannot find myself using it at all. I don't want to hold up my phone in front of me seeing my ugly mug! Not to mention video chat would really only be able to be utilized over wifi....at least until LTE rolls out. I really am looking forward to this phone now that the Droid X has been eliminated from my options.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones