• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon GS3 signal reception thread

data issues related to dbm #'s?

• high dbm, data works fine

Votes: 53 68.8%
  • high dbm, data does not work

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • other: explain in comments

Votes: 7 9.1%

• Total voters
As you boys requested earlier: my wife's RAZR MAXX vs. treb1797's S3.

Weather conditions: not a cloud in the sky
1st testing place: my home office
RAZR MAXX: 3 bars ( -97 dBm )
S3: : 3 bars ( - 102 dBm )

2nd testing place: My bedroom, sorry honey our bedroom :rolleyes:
RAZR MAXX: 5 bars ( -86 dBm )
S3: : 5 bars ( -82 dBm )

Both phones network connected to Verizon 4G LTE

So very impressive I would say for the S3. I was very happy w/ the fact that the bedroom was at a full 5 bars which only happened very very regularly w/ my DROID Charge.

So you boys feeling better yet?

Upvote 0

So very impressive I would say for the S3. I was very happy w/ the fact that the bedroom was at a full 5 bars which only happened very very regularly w/ my DROID Charge.

Starting to feel much better:D Thanks Treb!

Upvote 0
The option to turn off/on wifi is already present on the phone but buried in a menu. The toggle communicates with the radio's in the same way as that menu option.... it's just a short cut.

I predict that once this bootloader is figured out we'll see a true wifi toggle in short order. Until then... I guess will have to agree to disagree:)

I doubt that it will require figuring out the bootloader our even root.

Upvote 0

That's great! Is your wife's Maxx updated to ICS?

Upvote 0

That is very reassuring. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
No, your S3 in the second test is showing an 8x stronger signal.

Kind of like an earthquake scale, since each incremental change is not proportional, but exponential. Truth is though that as folks have mentioned, even dBm with same radios and OS can be subjective.

Real absolute deal is comparing to another device in weak areas, or if you know areas where coverage is fringe worthy. Stream video and test calls in those areas are absolutes for the user and good perspective for the thread :)

Probably more practical to test fringe signal in buildings, since less travel to find a fringe area ;)

BTW, thanks trebster!

Upvote 0
Yes, nothing you can do to manually update them.

There are apps that do this (using the Thunderbolt LTE OnOff app on Razr), but not aware of one that works with the GS3. The app also turns off LTE, hence the app name ;)

Works great, BTW. Especially handy now, since the Razr ICS update drains battery using 4G in a purely evil manner. Worse than before, on the Razr thin.

Upvote 0
It has to be as good as my DX for phone calls. If it isn't, then it'll have to go back. Number of bars or dbms means nothing. It'll have to be based on the phone's actual ability make, receive, and hang on to calls in fringe areas.

If this thread sheds a definitive answer on that before my pre-order ships and it's not a good answer, then I'll have to cancel my pre-order.

For a lot of us, this is the one thread we're watching.

Yup, this is the only thread I'm watching. Having been burned twice by Samsung on the GNex and Charge, I will absolutely not be the first kid on the block with this one. I've already seen some disturbing signal reports on other sites. When people say 'it's about like my GNex', I get scared...very scared.

Upvote 0
Kind of like an earthquake scale, since each incremental change is not proportional, but exponential. Truth is though that as folks have mentioned, even dBm with same radios and OS can be subjective.

Real absolute deal is comparing to another device in weak areas, or if you know areas where coverage is fringe worthy. Stream video and test calls in those areas are absolutes for the user and good perspective for the thread :)

Probably more practical to test fringe signal in buildings, since less travel to find a fringe area ;)

BTW, thanks trebster!

When I get mine on monday I will test that for you. I work in a courthouse which is all marble so signal penetration especially in the basement takes a beating. I will report back later in the week once I test it.

Upvote 0
So far im disappointed. Im in fringe area and my dx stayed around one bar 3g but would work, voice calls always worked. S3 is showing 0-2bars 3g but has no internet connectivity. Can't browse internet or play store or anything, browser pops up the white page that says www.whateveryourlookingfor.com is unavailable at this time. Play store just times out. Gmail will sometimes load, mostly not.

Headed to verizon right now to get sim card switched and see if that helps.

I've seen this a few times from posters already. This is precisely the issue I've had with all my Samsungs, dropped internet connectivity. Phone calls have been fine. It drives me nuts with my GNex how my wife sits there merrily on the internet with her IPhone and I get the 'no connectivity' prompt.

I had tried the Razr Max for a week and it was the first time I could easily go head to head with my wife and win a fair number of times. That just didn't happen with any Sammy. Their radios just suck and it never seems to change.

The only reason I brought the Razr Max back was the announcement of the Razr Max HD later this summer. That looks like my fallback position since I'm getting more and more dubious about the SIII

Upvote 0
There are apps that do this (using the Thunderbolt LTE OnOff app on Razr), but not aware of one that works with the GS3. The app also turns off LTE, hence the app name ;)

Works great, BTW. Especially handy now, since the Razr ICS update drains battery using 4G in a purely evil manner. Worse than before, on the Razr thin.

Make a new contact with *228 as the number. Then call the number via the saved contact

Upvote 0

Great thanks. Can you please take out your sim card and repeat the test?

Upvote 0
That's true. But today's GSM phones also use two radios actually. GSM edge for voice and UMTS/HSPA+ for data which is kind of WCDMA technique. In case of CDMA like verizon, sprint, 1X and 3G EvDo are packed in one CDMA radio chip and 4G/LTE is in different radio. LTE is kind of advanced HSPA with high speed.

But I don't think that's the reason why Wifi toggle is removed from GS3 on verizon. All other verizon smartphones have no problem toggling WiFi while using voice. WiFi just disables or reduces power to EvDo part of 3G while 1X is always active. I think it's just Verizon wants us to use more data than WiFi. Still you should be able to switch, setup WiFi in the setting menu.

All other Verizon phones before the S3 were using a two radio design, the S3 is the first to use the S4 SOC that integrates cdma gsm and LTE in one chip. We cannot compare them. One of the expected outcomes is much better battery on the S3 because of this.

I do not buy the theory that Vz did this to somehow force people to use 3g or 4g. Those networks are congested (especially 3g) and the iPhone5 is just around the corner. All efforts right now are geared towards moving people off of the provider's network and onto wifi as much as possible.

There has to be a technical explanation for them to spend time customizing Samsung's design. You don't just spend time and money to annoy people. Wifi toggling was probably not working as expected and they had to quickly find a workaround before releasing the S3 to hundreds of thousands of customers.

Upvote 0
All other Verizon phones before the S3 were using a two radio design, the S3 is the first to use the S4 SOC that integrates cdma gsm and LTE in one chip. We cannot compare them. One of the expected outcomes is much better battery on the S3 because of this.

Well, two radio setup was only LTE verizon phones before Dinc4G, SIII. But prior to LTE phones, they had 3G/CDMA phones with one radio and Wifi toggle was never issue. I believe WiFi just shuts off EvDO data but 1X remains active all the time. So it allows phone call receiving/sending while on Wifi.

I know S4 is all in one chip design as you said. But I still don't see how WiFi would interfere with or interrupt 1X voice. WiFi is always in separate radio with different frequency. So I don't think it's technical issue. WiFi toggle should be still doable in the setting menu.

Upvote 0
Trying to see if 3g will work without the sim card, sorry if it was not clear. Will the phone boot without it? Looks like there is no software switch to turn off 4g

If you take out SIM card, verizon 4G phones wouldn't work as phone. So I wouldn't recommend it.

I saw somewhere that SIII doesn't have setting for forced 3G mode but only automatic 4G like Razr after ICS update. Plus ICS reads signal differently than GB phones. It's too long to explain but it kind of factors in signal to noise ratio into dbm equation. So I don't think there is any point in comparing dbm of phones with different OS, radio.

Upvote 0

Unfortunately you still have a lot more places to check :beer:
wGIDkPgn3Aq0wAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
VerizonWirelessCoverageMap.jpg

Can you hear me now?

images

BTW, thanks for taking the time to do this. :five:

Upvote 0
Yup, this is the only thread I'm watching. Having been burned twice by Samsung on the GNex and Charge, I will absolutely not be the first kid on the block with this one. I've already seen some disturbing signal reports on other sites. When people say 'it's about like my GNex', I get scared...very scared.

The only reason I pre-ordered was to keep my unlimited data. Truth by told, I'd be fine with pre-ordering and not getting it for at least 3 or 4 months. Long enough for bugs to be worked out and for Samsung to release a few updates...hopefully for the better.

Ideally, I would have waited for the RAZR HD, but I would have lost my unlimited data and I know my usage is going to skyrocket once I'm on 4g.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones