• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon lambasting Sprint for trying to avoid building up rural networks

AZgl1500

Extreme Android User
Feb 3, 2011
Oklahoma grasslands
I got a good read out of this today.

We have all known for a long time, that if you want Maximum Coverage, that you must go with Verizon.

AT&T is running a very close 2nd to Verizon for rural coverage... I have a very close trucker friend whom I talk to several times a week for up to 3 or 4 hours at a time. We know in advance where his AT&T phone will drop the call... it is at Every State Line... over and over and over... but, about a mile later, he can get AT&T coverage again. So, it is not all bad on the AT&T side of things.

But to the topic, Sprint is trying to avoid spending money building up a network that is "outside of dense urban areas"...

And I have to agree with Verizon's viewpoint. Sprint is trying to get the FCC to force AT&T and Verizon to allow foreign carriers to roam onto their networks at a dirt cheap price. Dirty Pool in my books.

It cost the two top cellphone carriers billions of dollars to cover almost every county in the USA.

Here is the link:

http://www.wirelessweek.com/news/20...areas?et_cid=4752879&et_rid=54162356&type=cta

Cry me a river.

Carriers track roaming and pay each other for the minutes, roam primarily as a Sprint customer, they cancel your contract without penalty or early termination fee and ask you to shop for a carrier better suited to your area.

I drove from Michigan's upper peninsula to Texas not long ago, most all of it rural and most all of it on Sprint.

Off the beaten path, who knows.

I dropped poor, poor Verizon after never being able to get a signal throughout Silicon Valley and AT&T for having lousy call quality.

And guess what?

Not once will you be forced to take a download you don't want from Sprint, you get to uninstall virtually all of the bloatware without root - and you don't get locked out of rooting like you do Verizon.

And guess what - Verizon was the only carrier to get a closed door meeting with the chairman of the FCC over net neutrality - something that Verizon opposes - when it was hanging in the balance.

But by all means, let's just feel sorry for poor Verizon and all this dirty pool the poor dears have to endure.

Reactions: ella69 and whitehat
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones