• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Verizon - most of time I have 3G, while friends have 4G

Been noticing a lot of this happening lately. I was out to lunch Friday with two coworkers. One has the S3, other has the Bionic, all Verizon. They both had a strong 4G signal, where I had a full 3G signal.

Yes CDMA/LTE is the setting on my phone.

Thoughts?

The GNex is known for having horrible radio signal, this is probably the issue.

This issue has never really been resolved and has left users complaining to Samsung, but since Samsung still is making money they really haven't provided a solution even though they have told us time and time again that they will address it in the next update....yeah....

So if anything maybe try a network signal booster and see if it helps at all...

Sorry :(

Reactions: metalbiker
Upvote 0
The GNex is known for having horrible radio signal, this is probably the issue.

This issue has never really been resolved and has left users complaining to Samsung, but since Samsung still is making money they really haven't provided a solution even though they have told us time and time again that they will address it in the next update....yeah....

So if anything maybe try a network signal booster and see if it helps at all...

Sorry :(

Wait, what? Signal booster app? Is that even legit? Shut your face!

Reactions: metalbiker
Upvote 0
try toggling airplane mode on and then back off

had this happen several times a while back - I still say, and have said, that the radio software that VZW wrote for the JB release is no better the the 4.0.4 radio software. They screwed up as much as they "fixed". Thankfully, toggling airplane mode seems to reset whatever timer/setting gets locked in on 3G.

Upvote 0
try toggling airplane mode on and then back off

had this happen several times a while back - I still say, and have said, that the radio software that VZW wrote for the JB release is no better the the 4.0.4 radio software. They screwed up as much as they "fixed". Thankfully, toggling airplane mode seems to reset whatever timer/setting gets locked in on 3G.

To be honest, I've noticed less 4G anomalies on the JB radios. It tends to drop 4G connection less frequently (I would lose ALL data for no reason). Although I guess I didn't have significant issues in the first place since I live in an area probably optimal for the Nexus' iffy radios (buildings rarely exceed 4 stories, lots of open space for minimal signal interference between you and the tower).

Although either Verizon adjusted a few towers or the new radios fixed something because I can get 3G signal in some areas where I barely got 2G, even on my Eris.

Upvote 0
When I was on 4.0.4, my Vz GN never was able to hold a 4G connection for more than 30 minutes. I couldn't keep my phone on CMDA/LTE because it would bounce back and forth between 3G and 4G and my battery would die in a few hours.

After JB, my 4G is maintained for the entire day. So for me, it was a big difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones