• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Note 2 First Impressions

I'm hearing reports of verizon crippling this phone - the flip screen being disabled along with a constant popup for wi-fi connectivity and call blocking disabled with the Verizon models. Can anyone confirm this before I run down tomorrow and grab one of these?

People are already talking of having to root the phone on other forums because of these issues that other carriers supposedly don't have.

Upvote 0
I'm hearing reports of verizon crippling this phone - the flip screen being disabled along with a constant popup for wi-fi connectivity and call blocking disabled with the Verizon models. Can anyone confirm this before I run down tomorrow and grab one of these?

People are already talking of having to root the phone on other forums because of these issues that other carriers supposedly don't have.

As soon as a root is offered for VZW phone, I'll be doing it for much of these reasons.

But especially because I want to get rid of all this bloat!

Upvote 0

Haven't heard anything about the flip part, but the others are true. It also seems the apps for multiview are limited at this time compared to other carriers. All of said problems can be fixed with root and some tinkering. (when that will happen, who knows)

I'm kind of bummed that Verizon removed the wireless charging points next to the battery though. Granted that hasn't stopped someone on youtube from removing the back of the phone even further and making wireless charging work.

Upvote 0
I just returned my N2.

I had a long talk with V about switching the unlimited on my wife's razr max with my N2 which became 2gig after upgrading my DX

They said the only way I could do it was to return the phone, order a new one using the upgrade from another line (mother in-law) and activating the phone on my line when it comes. This way both my wife's Razr and my N2 will have unlimited.

Sounds counterproductive to return a perfectly good phone that they will have to sell as a referbished or exchange instead of just switching it up electronically...but in the end it's worth waiting a couple of more days to get my unlimited back.

After playing around with the N2 and seeing how great netflix looks on this phone, I'm sure that I'll need the unlimited!

Upvote 0
Haven't heard anything about the flip part, but the others are true. It also seems the apps for multiview are limited at this time compared to other carriers. All of said problems can be fixed with root and some tinkering. (when that will happen, who knows)

I'm kind of bummed that Verizon removed the wireless charging points next to the battery though. Granted that hasn't stopped someone on youtube from removing the back of the phone even further and making wireless charging work.

So there's no flip screen issues? Thats good. Tomorrow ill get to hit a verizon store and have a chance to check it out in person. I have no experience rooting a phone and have no access to a pc to do it.

I found this on another forum but not sure if it applies to Verizon's model.

I turned off Wi-Fi (don't use it as I'm surrounded by LTE with unlimited data) and under its settings, unchecked "Notify me" and haven't seen a single Wi-Fi notification anywhere since.

Upvote 0
So there's no flip screen issues? Thats good. Tomorrow ill get to hit a verizon store and have a chance to check it out in person. I have no experience rooting a phone and have no access to a pc to do it.

I found this on another forum but not sure if it applies to Verizon's model.

I'm not saying there isn't (I don't have the phone yet), I just haven't heard anyone complain.

Upvote 0
Why did you ditch the DNA?

I personally think that HTC has released on Verizon, the almost perfect phone they could have made. What it boiled down 2, was the memory. I had no problems with the battery, it lasted all day. And by all day I mean taking off the charger at 7 a.m., and lasting until 10 o'clock at night before recharging. The screen was flawless. Everything about that device what, except the memory for me. Lack of a SD slot, to put movies on, hindered the device for me.

Upvote 0
I personally think that HTC has released on Verizon, the almost perfect phone they could have made. What it boiled down 2, was the memory. I had no problems with the battery, it lasted all day. And by all day I mean taking off the charger at 7 a.m., and lasting until 10 o'clock at night before recharging. The screen was flawless. Everything about that device what, except the memory for me. Lack of a SD slot, to put movies on, hindered the device for me.

Thanks - I'm trying to figure out what to do with my S3 - serious reception issues at work - heard that the DNA rocks - but the battery, and lack of expandable memory scare me. From what I read here - it seems as if the N2 is better in the reception department than the S3. Hmmmm

Upvote 0
Thanks - I'm trying to figure out what to do with my S3 - serious reception issues at work - heard that the DNA rocks - but the battery, and lack of expandable memory scare me. From what I read here - it seems as if the N2 is better in the reception department than the S3. Hmmmm

That is what I heard too, only time will tell though. But yes DNA also excelled in reception. I do not kid what I say that probably would have been the perfect phone, had it been for expandable memory being allowed. Or at least a 32 gig version

Upvote 0

You are lucky. I just returned my DNA and picked up the Note 2 today because of my awful battery life. If you just let the phone sit there and only use it on occasion, sure its great. I got over 14 hours with it yesterday. However, when I started to actually USE it today, I was down to 42% battery after FIVE hours off the charger. I literally watched it drop from 99% down to 94% as I read an article on Phonedog for no more than five minutes. I didnt care for the stock browser either and I hated the keypad and phone part of it but I loved everything else. Loving the Note 2 so far though!

Upvote 0
You are lucky. I just returned my DNA and picked up the Note 2 today because of my awful battery life. If you just let the phone sit there and only use it on occasion, sure its great. I got over 14 hours with it yesterday. However, when I started to actually USE it today, I was down to 42% battery after FIVE hours off the charger. I literally watched it drop from 99% down to 94% as I read an article on Phonedog for no more than five minutes. I didnt care for the stock browser either and I hated the keypad and phone part of it but I loved everything else. Loving the Note 2 so far though!

I wouldn't say battery life is horrible, I get 14-16 hours of battery life with a solid 2-3 hours of on screen time. Considering how big the screen is and the resolution I think that is pretty good.

Granted I would like more and would love a battery the size of the razr maxx or the note 2's battery.

Upvote 0
Got mine at 1:00, been playing with it since then.
WOW I'm impressed with this gizmo!

Browsing the internet is just amazing, and it does do text reflow so I can chuck those reading glasses :)

Using it as an e-reader is fantastic!

Navigating and general operation is so smooth and typing on it is a breeze.

I gotta get the hang of the S-Pen...that's tomorrow's game.

What is "text reflow?" I'd like to chuck my phone goggles too.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones