• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon release date??

I wish this puppy had capacitive buttons, since then .5" of space would not be taken by the nav bar. The HTC M8 does a weak job of hiding it, but the G3 UI does the best job I have seen so far. The reviews so far shows the bar taking up all that precious space at the bottom.

I like the external access to the sd slot and the good quality 1080p display, but absolutely hate the nav bar. it is really not a 5.2" display, unless just media. Games and other apps lose the space.

Upvote 0
I can deal with the navbar as long as it goes away during media. Still, it's kind of annoying. That's what turned me off of the HTC phones. As far as a non-removable battery, I can deal with it if it lasts the 2 days they say it does. Maybe we should all just go back to the Note 4 board and commit to that? lol.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
My S3 is up for an upgrade as well. Been looking at this or the Note 4. Would've been nice if the compact version was announced. I'm kind of disappointed with some of the rumblings going on about this phone, like shorter battery life than the "real" version, having slightly bigger dimensions, and using Z1 or Z2 body for this V version. Waiting for more hands-on impressions...

Upvote 0
My S3 is up for an upgrade as well. Been looking at this or the Note 4. Would've been nice if the compact version was announced. I'm kind of disappointed with some of the rumblings going on about this phone, like shorter battery life than the "real" version, having slightly bigger dimensions, and using Z1 or Z2 body for this V version. Waiting for more hands-on impressions...

yeah the battery life is a disappointment for me too. i've always had a case on my phones so i never really cared about how the phone looked on the outside. its whats on inside that counts :rolleyes:... yeah right... give me a trophy wife! seriously though, hope this thing is all its cracked up to be. i'm kind of tired of both samsung and apple.

Upvote 0
Hmm.... well now I know what to get for my daughter for her birthday. Since we didn't have a release date of Verizon until yesterday, she was leaning towards the Note 4 even though it is pretty big for a (to be) 14 yr old girl. She likes the S5, but after my suggestion she go with the Z3 that was her first choice. If they offered the Z3 with a bit larger screen I would even consider it over the Note 4. Anyway, glad to hear it's gonna be available in a couple weeks, right before her birthday.

Finally - thanks for the video/links. This phone really is looking good. My biggest qualm is that I really like a physical button over on screen buttons. Even with an app or hack to make the virtual buttons go away, it's still not quite the same as having a physical button.

Upvote 0
With the Xperia Z3v turning out to be yet another band-crippled device when it comes to LTE, I'll likely pass. Bands 2, 3, 4, 7 and 13 do not light the fire; they basically cover Verizon's plans for the next two years (2, 4 and 13), plus high-frequency-only for T-Mobile (2 and 4) and for VZ's European roaming partners (3 and 7).

When a phone comes along with 13 and 17 in the same device, and therefore easy switching between Verizon and AT&T, we'll talk. I can't quite believe that it's now more than a year since Apple laid down the gauntlet in this respect with the iPhone 5s, followed by every cellular iDevice since, and we've still to see a single Android phone in the US with these two bands in combination.

I'd go for Sony's D6603 model of the Z3, hopefully close to US launch, which has both 13 and 17 and a lot else besides, but no CDMA -- but Verizon still apparently is not ready to start activating VoLTE phones without CDMA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones