• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Verizon sch-i915 Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 HardBrick help

I have an incident that I have accrued myself so no need for those comments. The history of the hardbrick i created. If any information regarding anything feel free.

First of all i rooted my device using towelroot. It works for alot of devices and runs as 3rd party apk installer. Created by the infamous Geohotz. Godbless. https://towelroot.com/ for those of you who do not know.

2nd i was looking and trying to swap my extSdCard with my internal /sdcard. I edited the vold.fstab and the vold.conf files thinking hey i can use the external as full internal to have the device install apps on properly w/o manually moving and use the internal remaining sdcard memory as virtual Ram. I have not completed this process yet. Ill explain.

After mounting the internal as external and vice. I ended up being stuck in a boot loop. NOTE: i did not have custom recovery(was one of the oopsies) so was stuck with basic android recovery. Reset device did not fix. Was going to Odin flash the stock rom and/or CWM Recovery, but there is absolutely NO STOCK or LEAKED rom anywhere for the verizon model. I also pulled those 2 files off of my other tab 2 10.1 NON VERIZON *vold.fstab and vold.conf and places it into zip file and signed it using signapk.
which now i feel like an idiot finding this link "http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-nexus/themes-apps/tutorial-making-flashable-zips-edify-t1611615"

NOTE: I used a different post somewhere that didnt explain to have the right binary so it gave me a signature mismatch error when trying to flash. Use above post to make sure you use propery binary.

Luckily i did some research and knowledge of what i actually did to fix it and plus my addiction to play around and learn things. I manually duplicated the vold.fstab/vold.conf files from my one device to the bricked one

Boot up device in Android recovery.
installed and loaded up ADB.exe from command line.

Code:
adb shell
su
echo *yourlinehere*> /system/etc/vold.fstab
echo *yourlinehere*>> /sytem/etc/vold.fstab

the first > rewrites the file from start black document and inputs the first line
the 2nd >> note the double >> appends to the next line.

i rebooted and VOILA FIXED!!! but wait....theres more ><

So knowing the troubles i had to fix my lil play around mistake. I wanted to get custom recovery partition installed. Used Rom Manager to install CWM Recovery. I picked the wrong rom for my device and flashed it. The one i used was for the international Tab 2 10.1 the gt-5100. It said it successfully flashed so i figured wth it couldnt hurt right? WRONG i clicked reboot to recovery to check it. and here is where I lie. HARD BRICK. No boot up at all. Plug in charger to outlet or PC i dont even get the charging device battery image. So now here we go more research fun!!!

I looked up some information on how to fix a hard bricked device. some posts say using a jig to bypass it and get into download mode. Ok this is a 30 pin connector not a 4 pin like most the android devices. I could do some research on this and probably rig a jig to convert and match the pin layouts but meh my problem still lies within not having stock firmware for this model. I also learn of Jtag methods. Oh all well and handy but buying the Riff Box and all this gets your device bootable, but hey guess what? it would allow me to boot into that download mode or android recovery. Which still bottom line fails as i dont have a stock rom to flash. OH the dilemna.

What ive come up with. I plugged in my device into my pc. Well what do you know i can actually get recognition. but this is where i am stuck at.

I figured out that the device is recognized and i needed drivers. I found this handy site
https://developer.qualcomm.com/forum/qdevnet-forums/general-discussion/9428 Which also explains that i messed up my boot partition.

I download and installed the QPST program and installed the drivers on win7. I had to reboot and use advanced options to disable the unsigned drivers check. OK sweet connection is up!

I tried using ADB shell but device isnt connected that way.
In the QPST program it shows my device on com10 in download mode. I tried to retrieve some data or partition information from the device but it says i cannot when device is in download mode. So no pulling files and fixing and reflashing them. Back to the same problem before NO STOCK ROM.

So here are the questions I have regarding my situation. The android device im playing with has the base partitions. As an example of this http://www.all-things-android.com/content/review-android-partition-layout

I do not have my partition layout for my device as its bricked. I dont even know if it needs to be repaired yet. If any of you with a verizon tab 2 10.1 sch-i915 has a rooted device and can get me this table or a pit file for this device it would be appreciated

2nd firmware vs firmware. As previously stated I do not have firmware for this verizon tab. HOWEVER i did find firmware for the Sprint version of this exact tablet. My question is, could these stock firmwares be exact duplicates with the exclusion of the boot up screen bs and the /misc partition containing the imei phone stats and carrier information?

3rd Flashing just certain partitions of this firmware. Is it possible if the above is feasible considering i know my /boot partition is messed up and my /recovery partition is messed up to only flash those 2 partitions with the one from sprint. The stock kernal should be the same in both devices for the /boot and the /recovery partition should hold the same android recovery should it not?

4th. If anyone has a rooted sch-i915 device would you be willing to make dump of the partitions using this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2450045. That would be appreciated.

Do you by chance have this file anymore? I have hard bricked my tab 2. It is a tab 2 wifi lte (verizon) 8gb 10.1 and need the stock bootloader and etc. I have it being fixed but the person is asking for a dump.

We can backup unbrick img file via Terminal Emulator app or via adb command with the rooted tablet.
Here the command via adb command:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/sdcard/backup.bin bs=1048576 count=256

The command via Terminal Emulator app:

su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/sdcard/backup.bin bs=1048576 count=256'

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones