• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon to release Major update for S3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky Babalu

Jun 8, 2012
Laguna Beach
It is 128MB in size, build VRBMD3.
:
gs3-vzw-update1.jpeg

I just hit "defer" but you can only defer up to 5 days. sigh

I am rooted and don't want this update. Found this method to freeze the OTA so it won't run:

If you've rooted/unlocked the bootloader of your phone, you do NOT want to accept the latest OTA that's being pushed out the past few days. For rooted users with a locked bootloader.. if you haven't touched any system files, then chances are you will only break root. For rooted users with an unlocked bootloader.. it is advised that you do not accept an OTA. Be warned that you will possibly brick your phone if you are rooted and/or have an unlocked bootloader accepting the update from Verizon.

***** Wait for the developers to release a version of the OTA update that is safe to flash/install on a rooted device. [/INFO]

[TIP]How To Block the Verizon OTA:
Download the app Titanium Backup > Go to backup/restore > Scroll down to SDM 1.0 and freeze it.

[HOW TO] Block the latest Verizon OTA for rooted phones (IMM76D)

Upvote 0
All up to date. Anyone notice the 4G stays on now while the Wifi is on? What's up with that. Wouldn't care if i was still on unlimited data

Wifi can be toggled on (kinda put on standby) at the same time as cellular data but as soon as the phone connects to wifi, the 3g/4g should disconnect

Upvote 0
All up to date. Anyone notice the 4G stays on now while the Wifi is on? What's up with that. Wouldn't care if i was still on unlimited data

If I'm not mistaken this is not a problem at all. From reading through the second page of the update info it said this would happen. I could be wrong but I'm almost positive I read that. Cant test it for myself yet I'm not near wifi

Upvote 0
I didn't get a warning at all. Would have been nice but I guess Verizon likes taking control of everything even when updates get pushed to you phone. It's nice to see but I had no idea about this. It almost seems like Verizon is starting to push updates without notification. This happened with the last small update as well.

This update is taking forever though.

edit: I had to switch to my works wifi to even get the software update started, just sat there at 0% until I did so.

Upvote 0
This is the only thing I care about in this update, but I'm expecting it to be missing from the AT&T update. If it ever gets here. :(

Yeah I don't understand why they refuse to allow us to toggle wifi easily. Sprint has it. I don't care too much for this update. The new gallery is cool except now it takes so long to get to the beginning of your gallery. And for me multi window is pointless. I hate that thing

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones