• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] (Verizon) Ditching TouchWiz for stock ICS

then why didn;t you get a GNex? as that is the ONLY "native" ICS phone as you put it...

I...don't know. :( Mostly I was looking for an "it" phone that would last me another 2 years like the Incredible did back in 2010. The S3 had good reviews, and seemed to be the match I was looking for. This was also before I had time with the phone itself to play with and get accustomed to. My research was limited to 1 day because I didn't wanna lose my unlimited 4G coming from 3G.

I actually might head over to VZW on my lunch break to inquire. There is a 14 day period w/the new phone, but will have to find out what that entails and if its gonna mean I purchase another phone. I'll man up if that's the case.

It sounds like the best option would be to wait for the Jellybean update, and then wait for a new root method. XDA mentioned they expect an OTA update soon and to either root before then and/or not get the update.

Upvote 0
It sounds like the best option would be to wait for the Jellybean update, and then wait for a new root method. XDA mentioned they expect an OTA update soon and to either root before then and/or not get the update.

id be shocked if the first OTA is JellyBean...id wager the first OTA will still be ICS...fix a few things, and probably turn on global support

Upvote 0
Well, Jellybean is supposedly releasing mid-July. Now whether that means for native ICS/Google phones, or what, I don't know. I remember my Incredible getting delayed OS releases due to Sense UI. Maybe I should jump on the rooting sooner rather than later.
the "mid july" date was for Nexus devices...not for devices with UI overlays...

the other versions of the GS3 (AT&T, TMo, Sprint) will get JellyBean ASAP...if we dont get a cracked bootloader, it will likely be months

Upvote 0

The root procedures do tend to get easier the further along in development the phone gets. However you may also have to wait longer to root jelly bean as the carrier will block old methods. I played with this phone for only 24 hours and I can safely say this will last you 2 years if you give it the chance. You want the phone developers play with and at this point, this IS that phone.

I've had android since the launch of the g1 so I want people to get one thing clear, you will never see jelly bean on a non-rooted device FIRST. Nexus phones have always had a considerable amount of time with new software before others release. Reason is that samsung, motorola, sony, and htc all need time to adjust their UI to the new software. If you want the latest and greatest you have to root, if you don't mind waiting (potentially forever) then stay stock.

Upvote 0
Yeah, developers seem to find their stride as phones get older. Unrevoked was pretty damn easy, but the problem there was that once Android was updated to 2.3.4, my Incredible was no longer supported. I spent hours trying to get a lucky root to pass through, which some users experienced, but I did not. That's why I bought my S3.

Even if I root now though, it sounds like there isn't a solution to bypass the bootloader to install, say, an ICS rom. Correct? So it seems like if I were to root now, I could at least just look forward to uninstalling some bloatware bs.

Upvote 0
Even if I root now though, it sounds like there isn't a solution to bypass the bootloader to install, say, an ICS rom. Correct?
not for nothing, but stock is an ICS rom...but yes the bootloader is still locked

So it seems like if I were to root now, I could at least just look forward to uninstalling some bloatware bs.
most bloatware can be disabled by default...its a feature of ICS

Upvote 0
Oh yes, I took advantage of that the first day. However disabling isn't permanently removing from existence. ;)

this is true...however i usually advise (especially for noobies) against deleting too much from the stock ROMs...it will break your ability to receive OTA's and can also break other things unintentionally, as those with DX's will remember the Yahoo bloatware breaking the contacts app in stock GingerBlur...

disabling or freezing in titanium at least allows you to quickly remedy issues that can arise

Upvote 0
this is true...however i usually advise (especially for noobies) against deleting too much from the stock ROMs...it will break your ability to receive OTA's and can also break other things unintentionally, as those with DX's will remember the Yahoo bloatware breaking the contacts app in stock GingerBlur...

How expected would you say it is to run into an issue like that? Disabling is indeed smart, but I'd sure like to remove 2 dumb Yahoo crapps and waste-of-somebody's-life VZ Navigator.

I've yet to root, but I think by this weekend I will give it an attempt. At least I'll be a step closer to running a ROM, should the day come.

Upvote 0
Previous phone: HTC Incredible (3G) running 2.3.4
New phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 (4G) running 4.0.4

I've done a lot of searching and reading on various methods to remove, or attempt to remove, TouchWiz UI in order to use stock Ice Cream Sandwich. I've seen the easy way out is to install a launcher (Launcher Pro, Apex, etc) and then to choose that launcher as default. I don't particularly care for that because I don't want to rely on a third party for my daily use, although some UI's are pretty nice, they're often prone to design flaw.

I've also seen other ways of ditching HTC Sense on other phones and TouchWiz on a Galaxy S2 simply by force stopping and clearing all data etc, but of course I'm talking about the S3 here. I realize the Galaxy S3 is SO new that there hasn't been much time to go about this without taking some kinda risk in an early root etc.

This brings up a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible right now to avoid TouchWiz and just use the stock Ice Cream Sandwich, without a launcher?
2. Do you recommend I just sit tight and be patient for a workaround?
3. Who leads the rooting world these days? Last I remember unrevoked was the way to go, but they seem to not be working on newer phones.

Lastly, coming from HTC, I'm unfamiliar with what in this phone is usual Samsung bloatware/bs as compared to Ice Cream Sandwich features. Remember I'm coming from Android 2.3.4 here. The Verizon stuff I've been able to disable, as well as a handful of I'm assuming Samsung (and not Android) stuff.

Thanks in advance for any leads!

Really no need for waiting for a custom rom.. you can do it on the stock rom, no problem..

settings>applications>all>twlauncher>clear defaults

and when you tap the home button.. select launcher.

all done

Upvote 0
Hahaha, if this was the case dude then I never would have posted, nor would anybody have had a similar issue. The TWLauncher option doesn't exist in this phone, which means you can't clear defaults or reset anything. This isn't like the Galaxy S2, and doing the same to TouchWiz Home just clears out your app and widget arrangement which has nothing to do with the launcher itself.

Upvote 0
I don't want to rely on a third party for my daily use, although some UI's are pretty nice, they're often prone to design flaw.
I've not run into any flaws with Nova but I did with Apex. TW is more than just the launcher and it has features I like (widgets, mail app, gestures); using Nova gave me the best of both (I cannot stand TW launcher either).

My point is that if you can't just install an AOKP launcher and switch to it, then what you want to do may not be possible or practical and may have results you don't want.

Upvote 0
Just install a Nova or Apex! I have since day one and had no issues (or design flaws) once I could root the phone to allow Nova/Apex to create widgets the ICS-way. Once any new launcher is installed it automatically clears the defaults that matter of the previous version. Press home once and set the third party launcher as the default. I had zero problems, works just like every other android phone I've used.

I keep a shortcut to the touch wiz launcher on one of my home screens just in case. I think nova (what I settled on) can make this by adding a shortcut of type activity. Then you can find the "TouchWiz home" app and select the its "com.android.launcher2.Launcher" activity.

Otherwise, unlock your bootloader and go to XDA and do some reading...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones