• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Verizon vs Verizon Network Extender vs WiFi

MoreJoe

Lurker
Jun 25, 2012
My home is in an area of almost zero Network coverage. I say almost zero because there are occasional blips of coverage enough to send or receive a one line text message. I therefore bought a Verizon Network Extender that sits in my house connected to a cable modem. I also have a wireless router in the house. With all those layers of coverage I am still experiencing problems.
I can receive and make telephone calls (No Problems). I can send and receive text messages and emails (No Problems). However if I try to send texts or emails with an attached file like a picture then I get "Failure to Send" messages. When I leave my house and drive into an area of Verizon coverage those failed messages all seem to go through. This drives me nuts and makes me curious. I have alternately tried turning off my telephone WiFi and I have tried turning off the Network Extender without any better results. This left me wondering about the way the RAZR deals with multiple communications options. (Patchy Cell, Strong Network Extender, and Strong WiFi) Which method does the phone default to? and in what sequence? Should I configure the phone differently?
I am temporarily stumped and wondered if someone could save my sanity?

I have the same thing going on, different phone. It isn't your phone. It's the way in which SMS messages are sent. The Network extender is not the same type of network connection you would get if you were in a good coverage area. It provides you with primarily Voice capable signal. SMS and MMS are not sent over WiFi and can't be. You should still be able to send an email however no problem because it would go over WiFi.

I have a galaxy nexus, VZW Network extender, Wifi , and i still can't send/receive mms

Reactions: MasterGadgets
Upvote 0
that can depend on what version network extender you have. there is a 1x version which is voice and text, and a 3g version which allows for voice and data (mms, email, etc) to occur. there are certain requirements, too, so make sure your internet connection is up to the task.

I've also found some phones that will not send mms if wifi is connected. for some reason the phone doesn't use the 3g connection, and relies solely on wifi. the RAZR is not one of them, in my experience, but try turning off wifi and try MMS again.

also, try restarting the network extender. if still not working, call in to the network extender support.

Reactions: MoreJoe
Upvote 0
I can send all text emails without an issue. I can send short text messages without an issue. It is the attachment of large files like a photo which does not go through and generates an error message. I remain stumped???
By the way the iPhone used in the same house and on the same network extender and wifi router works fine without this issue of attached picture files failing....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones