• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Very confused by Swype's corporate behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

plim

Apr 20, 2010
So Swype has made it well known that they do not want their software "stolen" so much to the point that they've scared AF to the point that the mere mention of a link will get a thread locked.

Meanwhile, another site prolifically posts different "stolen" updates for Swype like there's no tomorrow.

So instead of threatening another site like they have AF, they do the exact opposite: give 50 free beta invites to Swype.

What gives? They won't open up the beta to the public, but gives closed (precious) invites to the one website that basically distributes illegal copies of their software! Only thing worse would've been to put it on xda itself! =)

Don't get me wrong, I don't fault AF for abiding by their own rules as well as Swype's requests. I'm just confused by why Swype would endorse and embrace a site that seems to do exactly what they've requested AF not to do...

On top of which: they're asking AF to police individuals' posts. meanwhile, the DL editors are the ones posting it! they're content generators, not forum-post hosters.

Plus factor in how they use the community to beta test their crap but won't sell the same product back to the community? Instead holding out for more money from exclusive deals with certain Phone developers.

I completely agree.

But I can't complain - in the end I got Swype for free so it's their loss. If they were smart they could have gotten a couple bucks outa me. Instead they ignored my beta requests for 6 months and now they will never get a dime.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones