• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Very scared ive bricked my Desire! Help!

mce0004

Lurker
Jul 8, 2010
Okay so i am in desperate need of help!
I wanted to root my desire. I have the telstra next g A8183 Desire, i attempted to root it using this method:
http://nimbu.amorvi.com/2010/05/how-...ur-htc-desire/

Only to find out it doesnt work because apparently my phone has a bootloader of 0.80.

So i used a method on Xda;
[TUT]Complete upgrading guide(root, unroot, flashing ROM & updates) - xda-developers

I used the method for rooting an unlocked desire, with a gold card.
I got almost to the end, up to the step;

"In the command prompt/terminal window, enter either 'step2-windows.bat', './step2-mac.sh' or './step2-linux.sh' as appropriate"

However, my zip i downloaded didnt contain "'step2-windows.bat'"
which now has lead me to a problem where i am stuck on the 'recovery' screen.

Please can anyone help me, im afraid ive bricked my phone

I'm far from a expert, did you follow these instructions?

How to flash ROM
  1. You need to have HTC Sync and Android SDK installed
  2. Download this
  3. Turn off Desire and then turn it on while holding back button to enter bootloader(white screen)
  4. Once in "white screen" press power button again to enter bootloader
  5. Connect Desire with PC
  6. Press Volume Down and than Power to enter Recovery
  7. Now the red triangle should show up, go to folder you downloaded file and press recovery-windows.bat, recovery-mac.sh or recovery-linux.sh depending on which OS you have
  8. Now you are in recovery mode (green screen), press Wipe and than Wipe data/clear storage, than press optical tracker to confirm it
  9. After that press Volume Down to go back to main menu in recovery
  10. Navigate to Flash zip from sdcard using optical tracker, select .zip confirm it and wait until process finish, after that press Reboot system and unplug you Desire
  11. Enjoy your new ROM
    wink.gif
from here
[TUT]Complete upgrading guide(root, unroot, flashing ROM & updates) - xda-developers

the file is included in one of the files you would have already downloaded - you just double click it when told to in the guide. Sorry I can't remember where exactly, I've downloaded and extracted so many files in the last 48 hours. All has worked pain free to be fair though.

Sure somebody with more experience will be along to help you out soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones