• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Video Aspect Ratio

Lobalobo

Jan 8, 2010
The Nexus One shoots video in a 720 x 480 pixel configuration, which is common for widescreen recording. But the pixels seems to be square (though this description may be an abuse of a term of art), which means that the target aspect ratio for display is 1.5 x 1 (rather than 16:9, which is 1.77 x 1). This seems to be confirmed when the video is uploaded to YouTube, which displays the result at 1.5 x 1. Other camera phones that shoot 720 x480 squeeze the image for a 16:9 display target. Why in the world wouldn't the Nexus One do the same? Is there a way to adjust this with software? (When I run the Nexus One video through software that allows conversion to 16:9 display, the images are unnaturally stretched.) Thanks in advance.

720 x 480 is 1.5:1... if converted to 16:9 it would look stretched... other phones are probably cropping to fit to 16:9

720/480 = 1.5 not much you can do about that...

720 x 405 would be true 16:9....

Thanks, but with all respect, what you say is not quite right. The 720 x 480 statistic is just the pixel dimensions; it does not tell you by itself the target aspect ratio for display. Some compact cameras record in 720 x 480 with a 16:9 target display dimension; the HD Lite video taken by the Panasonic ZS3 is an example of this. The 16:9 display ratio is accomplished not by cropping, but by squeezing the recorded image so that when the pixels are stretched by an instruction to display at 16:9 the dimensions are as they should be. My question is why Google didn't have the Nexus One record in the same fashion. Anyone know?

Upvote 0
The "User Guide" quotes the display as 800x480, for which the biggest 16:9 image would be (correct me if I'm wrong..) 800x450...

Anyone got a video in that format to show??

Cheers!

Lodger

PS I'm old, never edited video images before so I'm a real newboi.. so if this was a really really dumb question, hey, you'll be old one day to!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones