• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Video chat apps not working.

matt29707

Mar 31, 2011
So I know rumor has it that Skype will be heading our way sometime soon, but what are we to do in the mean time. My wife and I had the Verizon iphone for a couple weeks before we sold them and bought 2 Thunderbolts. We loved using Tango and Facetime. So the first thing I did was download the Tango app for the Thunderbolt.
The video quality was so so at best and the audio was just horrible. We could kinda hear each other at times but it was mostly a screeching like feedback noise. The only way i got good sound quality was when we were both using headphones. I made a Tango call to a friend with the iphone and heard him just fine, however he did complain that he could hardly hear me ant that there was a lot of echoing and screeching.
I also just tried the new version of Fring that was just released for the Thunderbold and Evo and still have the same issues with poor audio. Any other options out there other than waiting and hoping Skype will work when we get it?

We are using the Yahoo! Messenger app which so far is working great. The plus side to that one is we can also use it on our laptops / netbooks.

Thank you for the advise. I went ahead and downloaded Yahoo! Messenger on both phones and when we tried to use it we still had the same audio feedback problem. Theres definitely something not working properly with the speaker phone / microphone on our Thunderbolts. My question is why is it that some people are having no problem at all using video chat applications while the rest of us are having big problems with audio quality?

Upvote 0
I have the same exact problem as you are.

I have tried all of the above mentioned programs, and the results are substandard.

Even skype voice has a lot of trouble.

There is something native to this device that is hindering audio and video that is not yet resolved.

For now there really is no good usable voip/video solution.

I have tested this on over 5 thunderbolts both on 4g, 3g, and wifi with similar results.

Upvote 0
I have the same exact problem as you are.

I have tried all of the above mentioned programs, and the results are substandard.

Even skype voice has a lot of trouble.

There is something native to this device that is hindering audio and video that is not yet resolved.

For now there really is no good usable voip/video solution.

I have tested this on over 5 thunderbolts both on 4g, 3g, and wifi with similar results.

Thank you! At least I know I'm not alone here. I tried 3g 4g wifi as well. HTC has acknowledged that there is an issue with the noise cancellation while shooting video so maybe there related and they'll fix it with a software update sometime soon.
HTC Confirms Thunderbolt Noise Cancellation Video Issue, Software Fix is Coming? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Upvote 0
on a side note... Video chat is really important feature on this phone to me. I waited and waited for the Thunderbolt to come out and finally got frustrated with all the delays and caved in and bought a pair of iphones just to have the video chat feature. Tango worked flawlessly when I had a good 3g connection or WiFi. A week after I purchased the iphones the Thunderbolt was finally released so I took back the iphones and exchanged them for the Thunderbolts thinking I would have a much richer video chat experience with broadband like data speeds anywhere I went and a higher resolution 1.3mp front facing camera and a 4.3" screen.
A little disapointed in the mean time but I'm sure that HTC and Big Red will fix the bugs soon enough.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones