• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Vim + python in version 4.4

Mike004

Lurker
May 14, 2023
hello. I've bought a simple tablet from aliexpress for reading PDF purposes and it works fine. android version is 4.4.4. i installed the known "terminal emulator for android" of Jack Palevich. the version of vim that is installed on the system is vim 7.4. my ultimate goal is to write source code on the device but for this i need python support ( which is not installed ) nor i know what version can i compile on a computer and transfer to the tablet to do so ( i have disabled internet access on the device permanently ) i need to have vim with UltiSnips plugin so i can write source code in ease. can it be done in Jack's terminal or do i need a different software on that 4.4.4 android version ? thanks in advance

Last edited:
hello. I've bought a simple tablet from aliexpress for reading PDF purposes and it works fine. android version is 4.4.4. i installed the known "terminal emulator for android" of Jack Palevich. the version of vim that is installed on the system is vim 7.4. my ultimate goal is to write source code on the device but for this i need python support ( which is not installed ) nor i know what version can i compile on a computer and transfer to the tablet to do so ( i have disabled internet access on the device permanently ) i need to have vim with UltiSnips plugin so i can write source code in ease. can it be done in Jack's terminal or do i need a different software on that 4.4.4 android version ? thanks in advance
Do you mean that you want to develop apps for Android with Python?

Upvote 0
no i merely just want to be able writing source code in vim but for that i need my UltiSnips snippets which require python (whick jack's terminal don't supply )
Is there some solution for running python capable vim in 4.4.4 ?

Well If it's not in the official Python Wiki I linked to previously, it may not exist. Which I believe is authorative and current on the subject.

For Python development in Vim, you may need a device running a fully featured GNU/Linux or a Unix OS, rather than Android.

Upvote 0
I
Well If it's not in the official Python Wiki I linked to previously, it may not exist. Which I believe is authorative and current on the subject.

For Python development in Vim, you may need a device running a fully featured GNU/Linux or a Unix OS, rather than Android.
Wonder where did i mention "Python Development" rather im talking about using python via vim plugin

Upvote 0
I

Wonder where did i mention "Python Development" rather im talking about using python via vim plugin

Well you did state in your OP, and I quote "my ultimate goal is to write source code on the device but for this i need python support"

I'm no expert and I'm not a dev myself, but that does sound very much like "Python Development" to me. Especially with your key phrase "write source code"

Maybe you do need a full blown GNU/Liinux or Unix OS for this? That has a complete suite of GNU dev tools,.
:p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones