• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] any new roms update?

Will it work for the boost mobile version? :)

I might be able to make a boost as well

any progress?

No, the kernel has been a nightmare back porting all the spr to vmu. I may need to scrap on cm10.1 and roll back to cm10 with your stock kernel. Not what I want too do but I am no kernel expert. If Samsung updates the kernel it should be a slam dunk. I will try and spend some time on this Sunday - Wednesday in the evenings when I normally work on coding.

Upvote 0
I might be able to make a boost as well

No, the kernel has been a nightmare back porting all the spr to vmu. I may need to scrap on cm10.1 and roll back to cm10 with your stock kernel. Not what I want too do but I am no kernel expert. If Samsung updates the kernel it should be a slam dunk. I will try and spend some time on this Sunday - Wednesday in the evenings when I normally work on coding.
Do you know what is wrong with Sprint AOSP/AOSP Based ROMS? Whenever I flash one, it always freezes on the second boot logo. Could it be a Kernel Issue as well?

Upvote 0
Its probably an issue with the kernel differences with sprint to VM. I know the kernels are not identical along with radio versions.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. And with these new S3 Versions, no one seems to know exactly what was changed between the old version and new version kernel.

Man I wish that there was just one big Android forum. I hate having to go between Android Forums and XDA-Dev to do research, etc... To find out whats wrong with my phone.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. And with these new S3 Versions, no one seems to know exactly what was changed between the old version and new version kernel.

Man I wish that there was just one big Android forum. I hate having to go between Android Forums and XDA-Dev to do research, etc... To find out whats wrong with my phone.

I'm right there with you. I tried following the CM 10.1 instructions on this forum over and over again and it would never get past the robot. I too think I have the newer version of the S3. Thats about the only thing I can think of right now.

Upvote 0
I'm interested in learning about how the Kernel works, and general Android Development. Where would you recommend I start?

Thanks,
Xerax

Best place to start is here

http://vmobi.us/?page_id=8

Once you get setup you can download the source code for the s3 from here

https://github.com/vmobi-d2vmu/android/blob/jellybean/README.mkdn

I have not updated the readme yet but will in about 30-45 mins when I start work on it. Currently have up the stock kernel just need to start in on it to make stuff work. You can track the progress in the GitHub

https://github.com/vmobi-d2vmu/

And look at the commits as I go in each repo. I'll be breaking down what I do each commit so you can look at the code changes, and get an understanding of what takes place.

Reactions: Xerax
Upvote 0
Everyone needs to do a clean flash. Did a dirty flash on mine because the aroma installer they use is a little confusing. I use twrp and wiped cache and factory reset before opening the aroma installer. In aroma installer it will give you the choice to do all of that. Dont do it in twrp first. I hope I can help someone. I love this fricken rom. Also if you do the customization option in aroma. Dont pick any of the apex related features. Camera really unstable. One more thing there is an option for ad blocking on the browser. Dont get that. If you trying to download something over your browser it wont happen and expect a lot of browser force closing/lag.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones