• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] does anyone know how to revert back to stock recovery ?

if your a vm sg3 look for the stock reset zip. i posted flash that followed by using kies and it should work. it worked for me. if your coming from a custom sprint rom or anything it should not matter.

in other words if your device is a stock sph l710 out of a virgin mobile box then it will work other wise you would need a carrier specific reset zip followed by kies.

Upvote 0
if your a vm sg3 look for the stock reset zip. i posted flash that followed by using kies and it should work. it worked for me. if your coming from a custom sprint rom or anything it should not matter.

in other words if your device is a stock sph l710 out of a virgin mobile box then it will work other wise you would need a carrier specific reset zip followed by kies.

So Kies alone isn't enough?

Upvote 0

Can you elaborate a little for me?

I've also made some of your post bold above as I didn't understand what it means. If it's stock, and right out of the box, it wouldn't need to be reverted to the stock recovery would it?

I am getting sick and tired of seeing the message about a new update and I've finally decided to join everyone on the latest firmware. I just haven't found a thread that explains exactly what to do that's in a format that I am used to.

I am rooted with CWM recovery, but stock ROM otherwise. I'd like to revert back to stock everything, no root access, and then take the OTA. I see people talking about using Kies, and Odin, and also reference to a .zip file. I don't really care about that one thing where the phone marks itself as modified unless that modification status will affect the OTA. So I don't need a plan to deal with that unless it's required.

Upvote 0
well to answer the bold "in other words if your device is a stock sph l710 out of a virgin mobile box then it will work"

if you got a VM edition that was a MD7 Stock.
like mine all i had to do was flash the reset zip. with a stock rom.
the one i used was punkmanx original deodexed rom. ran kies that detected it could be updated to MG2 and download the other file. i have posted but with samsung gear coming out in early oct there could be another update around the corner.
but every attempt to ota updated failed. mostly i think due to it being on internal memory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones