• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] List of Android 4.4.2 d2spr/d2lte Nightlies [All Compatible With d2vmu] **New Nightlies Available

Ab5traktion

Android Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2012
First of all, I am not a developer. I just really enjoy exploring the possibilities of the GS3 and Android phones. I've been noticing there isn't a list of Android 4.4.2 nightlies on here, so I decided I would make one. Since Android 4.4.3 has started rolling out, you might see ROMs disappearing from this list and added to my list of 4.4.3 Nightlies. Read everything before flashing.

Here is the list of Android 4.4.2 d2spr/d2lte nightlies available for the GS3. I've used them all. Whether it's d2spr or d2lte, they will work with our version of GS3. With this, I'm including the .zip file for flashing the Sprint modem and the APN settings necessary for connecting to data because, technically, these are Sprint ROMs and not Virgin Mobile ROMs. At the end are the .zip files for the Android 4.4.2 GAPPS I've been using. I know there are others but I figured I'd include them to be helpful. Both the Slim ROM and Resurrection ROM require their own GAPPS. You'll be able to find them in the websites for each ROM.

**Edit: So apparently, if you have a MK5, MD7, or MG2 modem on your phone, you do not need to flash a Sprint modem. If your phone came with Android 4.3 pre-installed before rooting, try flashing a ROM without flashing the modem first. You more than likely do not need it. If Android 4.1.2 was pre-installed before rooting, you more than likely do need to flash the MD4 modem. I have the MD2 modem on my phone, so that's why I need to flash the MD4 Sprint modem.

In order to get these ROMs working, be sure to flash in this order (If your phone has MK5, MD7, or MG2 modems, or has 4.3 pre-installed before rooting, skip step #1.):
1) Sprint modem .zip
2) d2spr/d2lte ROM .zip
3) Android 4.4.2 GAPPS .zip
4) APN settings .zip

Resurrection Remix ROM d2lte (links that say rr-d2lte): http://www.drdevs.com/devs/?dir=LegoRom%2Fsahil

*Resurrection Remix ROM info: [D2LTE] [OFFICIAL] Resurrection Remix

hey when you said that you personally tested the majority of these ROMs yourself, was that on a KNOX'd or un-KNOX'd phone and if it was w/o KNOX han do any of these ROMS contain a bootloader that could brick an s3 that has KNOX on it like mine does?

Mine is un-KNOX'd phone. My GS3 is had Android 4.1.2 when I rooted it. And I understand KNOX came with 4.3.

I did some digging. It looks like that if you have KNOX on your phone, after rooting, you have to download and install SuperSU version 1.80. If you want to remove KNOX from your phone, you can download and install a DE-SAMSUNGNIZER Script V5.0.0. Looks like you'll want to do that right after installing SuperSU. I'm actually not sure if this is required to getting the 4.4.2 nightlies to work. My phone is pre-KNOX, so I'm unfamiliar with the necessary bootloaders required. I'll include the links for SuperSU and the DE-SAMSUNGNIZER Script V5.0.0. From what I've read, it should work

I will say that no matter what you do, make sure you have at least ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.4.3 or Philz Touch Recovery on your phone or none of this will work.

SuperSU version 1.80: SuperSU Download

DE-SAMSUNGNIZER Script V5.0.0: [CWM][4.2.2/4.3/4.4] DE-SAMSUNGNIZER Script V5.0.0 - Clean all unneded Samsung Crap - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Mine is un-KNOX'd phone. My GS3 is had Android 4.1.2 when I rooted it. And I understand KNOX came with 4.3.

I did some digging. It looks like that if you have KNOX on your phone, after rooting, you have to download and install SuperSU version 1.80. If you want to remove KNOX from your phone, you can download and install a DE-SAMSUNGNIZER Script V5.0.0. Looks like you'll want to do that right after installing SuperSU. I'm actually not sure if this is required to getting the 4.4.2 nightlies to work. My phone is pre-KNOX, so I'm unfamiliar with the necessary bootloaders required. I'll include the links for SuperSU and the DE-SAMSUNGNIZER Script V5.0.0. From what I've read, it should work

I will say that no matter what you do, make sure you have at least ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.4.3 or Philz Touch Recovery on your phone or none of this will work.

SuperSU version 1.80: SuperSU Download

DE-SAMSUNGNIZER Script V5.0.0: [CWM][4.2.2/4.3/4.4] DE-SAMSUNGNIZER Script V5.0.0 - Clean all unneded Samsung Crap - xda-developers

i am rooted and "de-KNOX'd" although i did not use the desamsunnzer thingy. i simply plucked out all the apps associated with KNOX. at least all that i could find.
however when i attempted to flash these apps at the top of the tread i received error 6 messages on all of them. i do have superSU and the latest philz 6.15.4 or something along those lines. i do believe I'm on an odexed version of the stock rom though if that affects it...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Just flashed this all went well.Going to run it a few days.Seems smooth so far.Thanks for sharing.

Welcome. I wanted to try to use these ROMs before I posted them. I'm surprised there are so many. We mostly ever hear about CyanogenMod, Liquid Smooth, or Carbon. Those 3 plus Pac ROM are actually the ones I've had the most problems with. Gummy and Nameless are actually my 2 favorite ones. I'm going to try OmniRom next.

Reactions: upconvert
Upvote 0
Welcome. I wanted to try to use these ROMs before I posted them. I'm surprised there are so many. We mostly ever hear about CyanogenMod, Liquid Smooth, or Carbon. Those 3 plus Pac ROM are actually the ones I've had the most problems with. Gummy and Nameless are actually my 2 favorite ones. I'm going to try OmniRom next.

I've tried and enjoyed nameless and omni on my tablet. Maybe I will give them a run on the phone.

Upvote 0
I've tried and enjoyed nameless and omni on my tablet. Maybe I will give them a run on the phone.

One thing that I think has helped me is using the GAPPS Light .zip. Since I've been using it, I think my phone has been running a lot smoother. Keep in mind that it doesn't have every GAPP. I think Gmail is missing. Give it a try. I think that even GAPPS can act as bloatware, if that makes any sense. But if you think about it, most GAPPS .zips are around 200MB. This one is about 50MB.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones