• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] obtaining IP address problem

lox

Lurker
Apr 8, 2014
So I just spend 300 dollars on something that has essentially become my old phone, which I paid 35 for. My BRAND NEW Galaxy s3 from virgin mobile is trapped in this vicious cycle of "obtaining IP address", "internet connection is not stable", and no wifi at all, eating up my data.
seeing that this is a common issue with android devices, I did some digging and found the common static IP solution, which I used, and that got me from stagnantly being in the "obtaining IP address" phase, into the other two. Funnily enough, it only moves to stage two when I visit the google play store.
Factory reset has to be my last resort, but if all else fails that is where I will go. please help. I have downloaded WiFix and attempted at the manual reset, but to no avail.

I've never had a WiFi issue, although I also removed the stock ROM within an hour of opening the box with the phone lol

Are you sure you entered the correct password, cause if u accidentally hit another key it would have saved it causing it to hang at connecting or obtaining IP address

Typically I'd also ask what type of wireless you have but I believe this phone actually supports everything up to wireless N

Upvote 0
I've never had any wifi issues like you describe, neither on stock roms or custom roms.

I have however heard of people having these issues with certain routers. I think Belkin was the big troublemaker. If the issue is only on your wifi, I'd say it's a router issue. If it's on multiple routers, I'm not sure what to recommend as a fix as I've never seen the issue span multiple networks.

Reactions: lox
Upvote 0
So I just spend 300 dollars on something that has essentially become my old phone, which I paid 35 for. My BRAND NEW Galaxy s3 from virgin mobile is trapped in this vicious cycle of "obtaining IP address", "internet connection is not stable", and no wifi at all, eating up my data.
seeing that this is a common issue with android devices, I did some digging and found the common static IP solution, which I used, and that got me from stagnantly being in the "obtaining IP address" phase, into the other two. Funnily enough, it only moves to stage two when I visit the google play store.
Factory reset has to be my last resort, but if all else fails that is where I will go. please help. I have downloaded WiFix and attempted at the manual reset, but to no avail.

Seems to be a problem with the way your wifi is set up, I only get that error at work and I know it's the way they have their routers set up.

Reactions: lox
Upvote 0
Are you rooted if not have you done a factory data reset . this will clear your device of any static bugs causing this error .

I did the factory reset, still with the same problem. I've come to the conclusion that yeah, it's my router. Anyone know how to reset it and not completely botch it so I don't get my torso ripped apart by my mother?

Upvote 0
I recently had this problem and have searched the Interwebs to figure something out. This is one solution I came across that worked for me:

<copy/paste>
To resolve this I found another thread on the forum and I tried this, and Bingo! it worked.

Press these menu options on your phone: Settings > Wi-fi> (Choose your network by tapping on it for a few seconds) > Modify network config

Check "Show advanced options"

Choose IP Settings: "Static"

Enter these details
IP - 192.168.1.253 or 195.168.1.253 (I chose 192.168.1.253)

Gateway - 192.168.1.1 (I chose 192.168.1.1 since that's my router address)

NPL - 24

Netmask - 255.255.255.0 (I could not find this option)

DNS 1 - 8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8 (I had the latter by default and let it stay)

DNS 2 - 4.4.4.4

And save.

Presto! It just connected in a few milliseconds.

It may not be so simple for each phone, but it's certainly worthwhile to try.

Upvote 0
Just an FYI tho to the static setup, your router gives IP's out as needed by setting as static it never usues another IP (kinda making it like an apple device but not as bad as it would at least release it lol)

Basically if you take your phone off WiFi and another Device happens to fall to that IP when you try to reconnect the phone both devices will then have connection issues until its changed, IP listed does seem further down the list of possible ones so it may not cause any issues but still good to know

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones