• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virgin Mobile offering new Optimus Vs for sale!

Phil42

Jul 19, 2011
I was totally amused to find out that Virgin Mobile's offering brand-new Optimus V phones for sale, at $69.99.

It's part of a special promotion for new customers only - $25 per month for unlimited voice and text, but no data.

There are nine phones available and they appear to go from $29 to $179 at first glance.

Not sure I'd ever want a smartphone plan without any data (what about maps while you're mobile?) but it might be suitable for some folk.

I'm just tickled that a phone which has been around for many years is still being actively sold.

I love my Optimus V - it's strongest cell phone I've ever had and while it doesn't have a lot of memory or the fastest processor, it does 99% of what I want it to do.

I strongly disagree that the OV is obsolete. I've got one and a friend has one and we're quite happy.

First they're built extremely well. I've dropped mine at least seven times and each time the phone splits into three pieces - the main body, battery, and back cover. Plug it back together and it's worked each time. Never a scratch on the screen or broken screen.

I'm not saying it's impossible to damage this phone, I'm just saying it's better built than a lot of others. And even if it is permanently damaged, a used replacement OV in excellent condition is just $10 to $20.

While it does have a small screen, not as powerful processor, and limited amount of RAM it does everything I need. You can most certainly move apps to the SD card even on unrooted phones.

I've got about 50 apps and still have 12% memory free.

Once rooted the phone is even more powerful and there is active development of a variety of ROMs.

I've certainly thought about moving to a more powerful phone and may do so at some point, but so far my little OV does everything I want.

I'm just amused that Virgin Mobile is still selling this model brand new.

Reactions: badblue1
Upvote 0
At $69 it's a ripoff. I don't know anyone that is still using 3G, either. But yeah, it was a well built phone and it lasted me two years. Not complaining.

Well, i'm still using 3g and my only phone is the Op V just over 3 years and still going strong, same battery, same sd card, not a scratch on it!

Heck, we got kit-kat running on this thing and it's still under development thanks to bigsupersquid ... OS2SD unbelievable! ;)

Amazing what this phone can do, i'm keepin mine!!!

@Phil42 ... that gave me a chuckle when i read your post that VM still has this phone. :)
Not trying to force anything on you, but if you love this phone as much as i do, the V is very easy to root and opens up a whole new world at what this phone is capable of. Just for the heck of it go to the all things root guide and click on bigsupersquid's kit-kat rom OS2SD, it's just amazing how far development has gone and getting better by the day. I know you probably wouldn't want to read 40 some pages of his rom, but read a few at the beginning, skip some, read some, skip some, very interesting how this rom works, great read.

Reactions: bigsupersquid
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones