Virgin mobile to allow roaming?

1. Darkencypher

Darkencypher Well-Known Member

It goes for all phones. ^Ernest R.

That's was their answer when asked about which phones would be able to do so.

Advertisement
  2. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Link to the VM USA official press release regarding this? Id like to see it.
  3. Nate456

Nate456 Well-Known Member

Me too.
  4. schlar01

schlar01 Well-Known Member

That would be really awesome but I'd also like some official info.
  5. Darkencypher

Screenshot from their Facebook page

[​IMG]
    schlar01 likes this.
  6. Nate456

Sweet we get the Evo, 4g, and now roaming. I think they're going to really try and compete with the T-Mobile prepaid plans.
  7. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

On the FB page they also stated that it will start on 7/1 with no info yet on if there will be any additional charge associated with it. They didn't say so but the only partner it could be is Verizon. Plus our Evo V is so much sweeter than the Evo Design that Boost is receiving for the same price. For once it seems that we're not the bastard step-child over at Sprint!
  8. Petrah

Sweet! While I don't always trust the Twitter/FB posts (they've been wrong numerous times in the past), it would be nice to finally see VM USA picking up the pace and be competitive with some of the other prepaid carriers. Perhaps I won't switch carriers just yet.
  9. agianne

agianne Well-Known Member

There are also a bunch of regional CDMA network operators. I don't know any specifics, but Verizon is not Sprint's only roaming partner.

The CDMA Development Group keeps an inexact listing of CDMA network operators worldwide. Check it:

CDMA Development Group Worldwide Deployment Search

Choose "North America" at the top, then scroll down to see the U.S. CDMA network operators

OR

In the left hand menu column, you can choose

Region - North America
    Country - United States

then click search

The list isn't perfect, but it will give you an idea of how many different CDMA-based networks are in operation in the U.S.
  10. Petrah

Sprint Nextel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  11. schlar01

I'm sure there will be an extra charge, there almost has to be since its prepaid. Still, its a nice feature to have for short calls, texts, etc instead of a dead phone of Sprint's coverage isn't available.

How would it work for data???
  12. Petrah

I would imagine there will be a roaming charge once you reach a certain limit. I only hope that if they do add this roaming feature for us that we will have the option of disabling it should we so desire.

But then the next question is will roaming be available to all customers who have phones that can roam, or will it only be an option for 4G customers?

And yet another question; If they do offer it for all customers, how will they enable the feature itself in the options list for the stock OpV? I don't remember ever seeing it when my phone was stock. Would they not have to push an OTA update to enable/unhide it (make it to where you can actually see it in the options)?
  13. thebryceee

thebryceee Well-Known Member

Maybe they'll update the PRL?
  14. Nate456

If they don't update the prl for the OV we can use QPST to update it ourselves.
  15. thebryceee

thebryceee Well-Known Member

I've swapped PRLs and tried at least 5 or 6 different ones with not a lot of data speed improvement. I'm done trying to improve the MT anymore since I'm upgrading to the Evo V. I have excellent 4G coverage so I'll just rely on that when I'm out and about. Voice coverage is excellent here as well.
  16. Petrah

I swear I think that with some peoples phones it's a hardware issue, and not a VM coverage issue.
  17. zachavm

zachavm Well-Known Member

I do believe that the towers interface with a phones ESN from that they can identify a specific account or if they are Sprint/VM/Boost or whatever.
  18. septembersrain

septembersrain 句_句 Smurfing Awesome VIP Member

It is actually. If you compare Boost and Virgin Mobile according to the phones, It'll show you a huge difference in bars. Even though the actual coverage is exactly the same.

I think it's the radio that is unable to pick up signal from longer distances in these Virgin Mobile handsets.

Hopefully these new phones will have this problem sorted out.
    Petrah likes this.
  19. pbf98

pbf98 Well-Known Member Contributor

So what will this mean? The only time I had roaming was years ago when I was on tracfone and that was basically if I went 20 miles from my home I was roaming and I had to pay double minutes for everything.. I am assuming it will not be the same factor with this roaming, any details to what it will be.. I am just a little confused, will it be worth staying with Virgin, because I am planning on switching to Verizon for actual coverage, yes big change in price, but my job requires a reliable phone on a reliable network.. but if this solves coverage issue I can see sticking with virgin and upgrading phones
  20. Petrah

No one really knows for absolute certain how it's going to work. We're mainly just theorizing until VM USA gives us more info.
  21. mastersoup

mastersoup Well-Known Member

22. schlar01

Great......just a tease.
  23. marc12868

marc12868 Well-Known Member Contributor

that is contradictory... he first says roaming isn't available.... Then says to check your service plan to see if roaming applies.... What? :confused:
  24. Darkencypher

Well, ain't that some poo! Sorry guys :/
  25. schlar01

You'd think their facebook page would be run by a corporate marketing / communications type not some rube customer service type. Seems rather unprofessional.