• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Visson ATV-108 FAQ and info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unforgiven

...eschew obfuscation...
Administrator
  • Jun 23, 2010
    Douglas, MA
    Since this is a new FAQ guide for the Visson ATV-108, we need your help to populate it and keep it organized with the best and most relevant information. Please contact (by PM) your favorite Guide, or drop us a note in the private chat section if you have any good information to contribute, update, or correct in the FAQ's. Alternatively, hit the
    report.gif
    button and ask a Mod to bring it to our attention.

Thanks for your help!

Special thanks goes out to
    stane1983 for putting this together.

Here you will find probably all needed info about Visson ATV-108.

Device might be available trough OEM channels, re-branded, but it always looks the same (it can be in black or white version).

Picture of device:
    v338-1-bdae.jpg

There are two different versions of Visson ATV-108. It's rev 1 and rev 2.

Here is the picture of both PCB-s (first one on the picture is rev 1 and second one is rev 2):
    ATV_108.gif

Why there are two ATV-108 versions and what is the difference?

First Visson ATV-108 is slightly modified version of Visson ATV-101 board.

Specifications for ATV-108 rev 1:

CPU: Amlogic AML8726M + Mali-400 GPU
    CPU clock: 750 MHz (stock ROM)
    RAM: 512 Mb DDR2
    Internal memory: 2 Gb
    USB ports: 3
    RJ45 LAN: Yes
    WiFi: Built-in
    USB OTG port: Yes (but doesn't work on Android 4 for now)
    SD card: up to 32 Gb
    Filesystems supported over USB: Fat/Fat32/NTFS
    Audio output: 3.5mm stereo connector on back side of box
    Video output: HDMI 1.3 and YpBpR (component) output
    Video output modes: 480i, 480P, 576i, 576P, 720P, 1080i, 1080P
    Audio input: built in microphone and microphone in 3.5 mm jack on back side of box

Specifications for ATV-108 rev 2:

CPU: Amlogic AML8726M3 + Mali-400 GPU
    CPU clock: 1 GHz (stock ROM)
    RAM: 512 Mb DDR3
    Internal memory: 2 Gb
    USB ports: 3
    RJ45 LAN: Yes
    WiFi: Build-in
    USB OTG: No (not official, my sample device doesn't have one)
    SD card: up to 32 Gb
    Filesystems supported over USB: Fat/Fat32/NTFS
    Video output: HDMI 1.3 and CVBS A/V output
    Video output modes: 480i, 480P, 576i, 576P, 720P, 1080i, 1080P

Q: How to know which ATV-108 do I have?
    A: Download this file, put it to your USB stick, install it on the box and run it. It will display your product info. If you have Name/Device/Board = c03ref, that means you have ATV-108 rev 1, if you have Name/Device/Board = f16ref that means you have ATV-108 rev 2

Q: How to do a firmware upgrade?
    A:
    There are two methods of installing firmware to device

Upgrade from Android procedure:
    1. Download your firmware files (usually ZIP or RAR archive) and unpack all files to root of your sdcard
    2. Insert your sdcard in your box
    3. Start Upgrade application on your device and choose Local Upgrade
    4. Select file update.zip and on next screen select Reboot And Install Package
    5. After upgrade is completed you will be back to Android Recovery System. You might see some errors such as invalid parameter or error writing mac address. Ignore that, just unplug your device from power and plug it back in to boot Android (first boot takes some time)

Upgrade procedure using reset button on back side of device:
    1. Download your firmware files (usually ZIP or RAR archive) and unpack all files to root of your sdcard
    2. Unplug your device from power
    3. Insert your sdcard in your box
    4. Use paperclip to press reset button on back side of device and keep it pressed
    5. Plug the power back on and wait for front leds to blink 3 times. After that, release reset button.
    5. After upgrade is completed you will be back to Android Recovery System. You might see some errors such as invalid parameter or error writing mac address. Ignore that, just unplug your device from power and plug it back in to boot Android (first boot takes some time)

Q: I upgraded my device and now I have scrambled picture on TV. Is my device bricked?
    A: Probably not. Some firmwares also do upgrade of bootloader. That means you have to install the firmware twice. In that case you will have to use reset button procedure to install firmware once more. After you completed all steps, you should see Android booting.

Q: I upgraded my device and now I don't have any picture on TV. Is my device bricked?
    A: Probably not. What you will have to do is to create recovery sdcard. To be able to do that, you will need Windows XP machine. Download this file, unzip it and read pdf which is included in zip file. You have to use u-boot-aml-ucl.bin file provided with your firmware to do a recovery card. When recovery card is created, reinsert it to your computer. After that, copy all your firmware upgrade files to your sdcard and use reset button procedure to install new firmware.

NOTE: Backup all of your sdcard content, because all data on your sdcard with this procedure will be erased.

If you are more advanced user, you can check Amlogic's wiki page on how to burn uboot to device. With that procedure you also have to use your u-boot-aml-ucl.bin file.

You are only interested in first part of guide. When finished with fdisk command, reinsert your sdcard.

Before you copy all firmware files to your sdcard, you have to format partition you just created with mkfs.msdos command and mount it.

Links to official firmwares for ATV-108 rev 1:

ICS.MBX.20120225
    ICS.MBX.20120422

NOTE: If you are upgrading from earlier version than ICS.MBX.20120422, you will have to install your firmware twice (see question I upgraded my device and now I have scrambled picture on TV. Is my device bricked?)

Q: Are there any unofficial firmwares for ATV-108?

A: Yes they are, you can find them on this topic. Mostly maintained firmware is done by Stane1983. There are also some betas of CyanogenMod 9 ports to ATV-108 rev 1 on xda developers forum under this topic.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones