1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Vlingo App Free: Download now it beats Voice Search

Last Updated:

1. Slick1020

Slick1020 Banned This Topic's Starter

Since Google came out with the Voice Search app, Vlingo has offered their voice search app for free so people can see the difference between the two apps. Its like night and day folks. I will let you decide which app to utilize. But Vlingo is the winner in my opinion. People are pissed because a lot of people paid for the app now they are giving the app away for free. Scoop up the app while you can.

Vlingo will open up stock apps. And it gets the names right. It will read off your text messages to you and allow you to send/type a text or email with your words. It works extremely well.

Advertisement
  2. aeiou

aeiou Well-Known Member

I agree with you. The google one never connects with the people I tell it to. It puts the names in the body of the message. I just tried using both using the message to the same person and vlingo got it right.

3. jwmacdon1231

jwmacdon1231 Well-Known Member

+1 for that. I've been using Vlingo since it came out (yes I spent the $10 on it), and I love it way more than Voice Search.

4. kencrudup

kencrudup Well-Known Member

So, after seeing the post on Engadget, I downloaded it. While I think the voice-recognition is about the same, what I like better is the text-to-speech; it sounds better to me.

In fact- funny story- I had it (inadvertently) set to read text messages. So at 0530, I get a TM from TripIt telling me about the flight I'm going to take to work in a few hours. I expect to get the Notification "ding" at all hours of the night, but when Vlingo started to read the message I woke up wondering "WTF was that!

5. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

I tried VLingo in beta on the Droid, and it wasn't the best, so I stuck with GVoice Search.
    If the voice dialer is better I will be happy as well.
    Awesome that it's finally out - hopefully vast improvements

6. spence341

spence341 Well-Known Member

Did anyone experience battery drain issues with this? I downloaded it, but did not set it up. Since then, my battery has been running to zero within 5 hours.

7. reebohn

reebohn New Member

I have had huge battery drain issues with Vlingo :( I love the app its the best voice to text app I have tried but it =drained my battery like crazy!

8. vicstarman

vicstarman New Member

The upside is that Vlingo, not Google Voice (which I like a lot), is able to be voice commanded 100% hands free via a bluetooth headset like the Jawbone ERA, which I bought yesterday. Press the button on the ERA, get voice promted, use voice commands. Done. Your phone can even be in your pocket. No touching the screen to confirm or anything.
    The DOWN side is that I JUST bought the ERA the moment that Vlingo pulled support for the Sensation 4G. So I'm left with a $130 decent sounding BT headset, and still NO speech to text features (hands free)