• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Vlingo App Free: Download now it beats Voice Search

Slick1020

Android Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2010
Since Google came out with the Voice Search app, Vlingo has offered their voice search app for free so people can see the difference between the two apps. Its like night and day folks. I will let you decide which app to utilize. But Vlingo is the winner in my opinion. People are pissed because a lot of people paid for the app now they are giving the app away for free. Scoop up the app while you can.

Vlingo will open up stock apps. And it gets the names right. It will read off your text messages to you and allow you to send/type a text or email with your words. It works extremely well.

So, after seeing the post on Engadget, I downloaded it. While I think the voice-recognition is about the same, what I like better is the text-to-speech; it sounds better to me.

In fact- funny story- I had it (inadvertently) set to read text messages. So at 0530, I get a TM from TripIt telling me about the flight I'm going to take to work in a few hours. I expect to get the Notification "ding" at all hours of the night, but when Vlingo started to read the message I woke up wondering "WTF was that!

Upvote 0
The upside is that Vlingo, not Google Voice (which I like a lot), is able to be voice commanded 100% hands free via a bluetooth headset like the Jawbone ERA, which I bought yesterday. Press the button on the ERA, get voice promted, use voice commands. Done. Your phone can even be in your pocket. No touching the screen to confirm or anything.
The DOWN side is that I JUST bought the ERA the moment that Vlingo pulled support for the Sensation 4G. So I'm left with a $130 decent sounding BT headset, and still NO speech to text features (hands free)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones