• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voluime rocker button fallen off!

Hey Guys

My volume rocker button has fallen off, I can't believe this has happened as I do look after my phone.

I've contacted HTC UK who tell me this isn't covered by the warranty.
The conversation was something like this:

ME: "Hi I have an HTC Sensation, unfortunately the volume rocker has fallen out. I bought my phone in July 2011 so would like it repaired please"

HTC: I can see that would be a problem, you could send the phone to us for repair but if our repair people think that this is a user fault, in that you haven't looked after your phone correctly, then this will not be covered.

ME: "That's fine my phone is in really good condition and no wear on the cover, as up to the last few weeks I have been using a gel cover".

HTC:"I just want to clarify the situation with my supervisor.......(gone 5 mins)...... I have spoken to my supervisor and unfortunately this is not covered by your warranty. As the volume button is attached to the battery (back cover) this is an accessory and not covered".

There was then a heated debate about what the warranty did cover.

The upshot was that they recommend I buy a replacement cover but not from HTC as (quote from agent) they are expensive but somewhere cheaper, however an unofficial cover will void my warranty!!!!!!!

I'm really peeved off. It's only a month ago that I had my ohone repaired for the dust under the screen problem.

Has anyone had a similar problem or any advice on how I can get this sorted? I thinking of complaining through HTC's customer complaint route.

The advisor told me that Sensation was released in the UK on 29 June, so it's clear the phone is less than 12 months old.

I've had HTC phones for 4 years now, I'm really thinking of defecting to another brand at upgrade time.

Any advice appreciated!

HTC have changed their policy, they no longer send out replacement covers no questions asked etc, as I found out when my rocker fell off.

Luckily I didn't lose the rocker and was able to glue it back on, rather than send my phone away for a week and get told it's not covered.

Ps. Using an 'unofficial cover' wont void your warranty, HTC will never have anyway of knowing that you've used one, as when you send your handset to them you do it sans cover ;)

Upvote 0
Actually the phone was released in May 2011, approx. 18th May. This was from Vodafone as I had one on the 20th.

And yes, as hTc released its sensation battery case as a self replaceable cover, its not under the phone warranty any more.

As you've seen, OEM covers are quite cheap too, but don't go for anything else as in trying to save a fiver or two, you'll find the imitation versions won't have the antennae embedded and your call, WiFi and bluetooth quality will be severely reduced.
Tink.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem and they just send me a new backcover.
But now I've got the same problem again and now they don't want to send a new cover.
I just waited a week and called again an it looks like I'm going to get a new cover.

I think the problem is that HTC got stupid employees.

Ps. the warranty agreement on the HTC site says that HTC should give you a new cover.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones