VZ Navigator vs. MapsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Hellequin

Hellequin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I've been using Maps on the Incredible and liking it so far. However one thing I miss from VZ navigator is the option to search for business' around me.

When I'm traveling i like to find restaurants, gas stations, etc. around the area I'm staying.

Is there an app that will do what VZ Navigator did in that area?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. FierceDeityLink1

FierceDeityLink1 Well-Known Member

Aloqa, Layar, maybe others? And of course Google Maps can search around your location if you know what you're searching for.

3. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

From Google Maps, Go to Directions and type pretty much anything in End Point (e.g. start typing mexican restaurant).

If that doesn't work for ya, try Aloqua, Layar, Yellowpages, or Urbanspoon (food only)

4. Bundy

Bundy Well-Known Member

I think that's what Layers in Google Maps is for, but I haven't had time to play around with it too much as I just got the phone today. I did manage to kill my battery in 5 hours playing with it though!

5. iEcliptik

iEcliptik Member

yea, i'm kind of confused, OP...Maps has all those things. Press Menu > Layers, and resturaunts, gas stations, etc is an option. Or do a search if you want something more specific.

6. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member

Go to the internet and under the google there is a name of a location, and click near me now. Or you can get the free app Places Directory.

7. Hellequin

Hellequin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't have restaurants under layers

8. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

I downloaded Geodelic from the marketplace and it looks like it's going to be great for this.

9. Stealth Droid

Stealth Droid Member

Save your $!

10. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

Go to Settings>Car Panel>View Map. Once the map is displayed, zoom in 2-3 times until a business shows up on the map. Long press on a shopping center (or anywhere on the map) An address will be displayed. Tap the address box and a menu will come up. tap what's nearby. All the nearby businesses will be displayed.

Attached Files:

11. iEcliptik

iEcliptik Member

You have to be in the "Navigate" portion of the Google Maps app. Doesn't show it on just the map itself unfortunately.

As long as I'm "Navigating" towards a destination, and I go to Menu > Layers, I have options for Parking, Gas Stations, ATM's & Banks, and Restaurants.

12. SDmtnbkr

SDmtnbkr Member

Actually just go to Maps, hit Menu- Search and enter something like Mexican Food. Maps will search for that around you (make sure your GPS is on). Then the next time you hit Layers that search will be added to the "Layers" tab.

I'm not sure how many it will hold, but I just tried up to 5 different searches - Liquor Store, Convenience Store, Gas Station... Then closed the app down, re-opened it and hit Layers and all of them where below the preset, Traffic, Sat, Buzz and Latitude. This is all new so I wonder how long those previous searches will stay.

...oh and you don't need to be in any specific Navigate mode, just plain old Maps.

13. confluence

confluence Well-Known Member

i use Places Directory. it is an app developed by google. you can search bars, restaurants, gas stations, etc... and then show the results on a map.

i used this only when i need to quickly see places on a map. unfortunately, places directory doesn't work with google navigation.

so, if i need directions i just use google maps. if you search for general terms like "bars" or "restaurants", the results will appear on the map. if you touch a destination, you will be given options to navigate there.

14. ShortBusHEMI

ShortBusHEMI Well-Known Member

program called where in the market.. awesome app.