• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [VZW] Only two 3G bars at all times?

So, since the update, my phone (stock everything, unrooted) has given me better reception and full bars on 4G, slightly weaker WiFi inside my house (lets just say instead of full bars everywhere in my house, there are spots where I am getting 2-3 max now), and two bars 85-90% of the time (max is 3 bars) for 3G.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Am I going crazy?

(You don't have to answer that last question. I am and not because I have noticed weird things about my phone. It's mainly because I live in the south and don't like mashed potatoes.)

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is "DBM"?

go to Settings->About Phone->Status

scroll down to Signal strength - it is measured in dBm, which gives you a number, usually from -60 to -120 (with -120 being no signal)

IMO, it's better to use this number than bars, especially comparing different radio and software releases across the same phone

Upvote 0
go to Settings->About Phone->Status

scroll down to Signal strength - it is measured in dBm, which gives you a number, usually from -60 to -120 (with -120 being no signal)

IMO, it's better to use this number than bars, especially comparing different radio and software releases across the same phone

Thanks for the tip.

So, I have a -93 dBm 2 asu rating. That is right at a medium going off your saying that -120 is no signal. Curious, what is yours?

I will monitor this a bit more...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip.

So, I have a -93 dBm 2 asu rating. That is right at a medium going off your saying that -120 is no signal. Curious, what is yours?

I will monitor this a bit more...

it varies for me

at home, -93 (bounces to -83 or -100 when it wants to)
work, -120 (yes, it kills my battery)
outside home, -83
closer to tower in town, -75

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones