• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [VZW] Problem with OTA update.

J9429

Lurker
Oct 13, 2011
So I recently bought my HTC One M7 on eBay and it works great. The only issue is one that I have when I try to install a software update to get android 4.4 on it. When I turn the phone on it says: this build is for development purposes only. Which I assume means the bootloader has been unlocked, the phone also has clockwork mod on it. After downloading the update I press install now and the phone restarts ready to install the update but then ClockworkMod pops up saying:

Invalid command argument
unknown volume for path [INTERNALSDCARD blah blah blah]
Can't mount [INTERNALSDCARD blah blah blah]

and on the top of the screen it says Root access is missing. Root device?

So, is there any way for me to update my phone normally without having to go through the process of flashing a rom on it. Is clockwork mod saying that If I root the device the update will then work? Any help is appreciated.

The reason the OTA update won't work is that you have clockworkmod rather than the stock HTC recovery (which is a consequence of the previous owner having rooted the device, or attempted to). With that you can flash custom ROMs, but cannot install official OTA updates (and if you want to do custom ROMs frankly most people recommend TWRP for the One rather than CWM).

So there are two options. One is to install a custom ROM, which you've said you don't want to do. The other is to return the phone to stock, unrooted status. The rest of this post assumes you want to do the second.

You can check the phone is unlocked by shutting down then rebooting while pressing the volume down button. You'll get a white screen with a short menu, and the text at the top will tell you whether it is locked or unlocked (S-On or S-Off would also be interesting, indeed just tell us what it says in the top couple of lines).

To return to stock you need to use a HTC ROM Update Utility (commonly abbreviated to RUU). This is a windows application. How you use it is:

1) relock the bootloader (if unlocked, which it probably is)
2) connect to a PC via usb
3) boot phone into the bootloader. You see "fastboot usb" near the top of the screen.
4) run the RUU .exe on the PC

Two complications here: how to relock the bootloader and how to choose the correct RUU?

Relocking the bootloader is not a problem for most, except you didn't actually unlock it yourself so will need to do some setting up first. Our HTC One root thread has most of the information you need to do this. The first post in that thread gives you 3 links at the bottom. Use the first to download "adb" (and "fastboot" in the process). Follow the instructions at the top of the second post to set this up, going as far as the "fastboot devices" command. If that works, you can then use the command "fastboot oem lock" to relock the bootloader (don't worry about downloading stuff from HTCDev.com, as you are not unlocking the bootloader).

While you are there, use the command "fastboot getvar all" and copy the output (we may need this for the next bit).

As for choosing the RUU, these things will check the phone's original region and branding and the software version, and not run if they are incorrect. Software just has to be newer, or not older (an RUU is an Update utility, and won't downgrade the software). For the rest, if you know that already then great, if not then use the command "fastboot getvar all" (see above) and post the results to us.

Once we know what RUU to look for, you can download the from here.

Sorry about the hassle. Frankly I think it's a bit unfair to sell modified handsets without at least telling the buyer that the software has been modified.

Reactions: scotty85 and J9429
Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate it. I wish I had known the phone was modified but the price was great and hopefully your instructions will make it worth it. I'll attempt to get things back to stock tomorrow and I'll definitely come back here for guidance. Many thanks once again.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones