• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

W8, IOS, ANDROID, Do you want to have them all?

aarif87226

Jun 21, 2012
:smokingsomb::smokingsomb:
Yes I just got an iPad, but it seems a little bit big for me. So I am considering switch to Nexus7, for those positive comments ALL AROUND!!!

Also I'm longing for a Windows8 phone. The UI is soooooooo splendid. And I got good experience on my friend's W7 device. Btw Surface looks nice to me as well, if the price is friendly enough, I may go for it~

So my set would be : W8 PHONE + NEXUS7

OR

my current BlackBerry + SURFACE/ Nexus7

I also wanna have a Kindle touch. But will that be overlapping with a 7'' tablet?!

I am s in a dilemma!!!:thinking:

ps.. I forgot iPad mini!!! More in a dilemma!!

No. Won't touch windows beyond XP. (2 offlines with special software) Otherwise, Ubuntu. Last time I used an Apple product was in college, for graphics and page layout.
However, Photoshop, Illustrator, Pagemaker, Quark, all had Windows apps that would cross platform very well, so why bother with the expense of a Mac? (I cross platformed)

I like Android, but if Symbian had kept up and had the apps, or even if pure Palm makes a comeback, I'd switch to the OS that does the most for me.

Upvote 0
Windows 8 is where it's at. Look up HP's Envy X2, that's what W8 was designed for. The power to run desktop apps with the convenience of mobility

I couldn't agree more.

I love what Microsoft did with Windows 8 - and since there is no true Google desktop OS (chrome OS is nice but I need a full desktop OS) - Windows 8 wins my heart.

I will be first in line for the Surface. I am still waiting to see exactly what the specs of the Surface Pro is (mainly the graphic performance). If the pro can run some of the games I play now (guild wars, diablo, battlefield) then I will buy it in a heart beat to replace my laptop. If not, the I will buy the RT and buy a nice all in one for christmas.

I also love what Nokia did with the new Lumias, I loved windows phone 7 when I tried it, but I still love Google and it will be very hard for me to think about giving up Android as my phone of choice.

Upvote 0
Windows 8 is where it's at. Look up HP's Envy X2, that's what W8 was designed for. The power to run desktop apps with the convenience of mobility

I hate the look of the Windows phones. I downloaded a theme and for awhile, I had the basic look. Not for me.

I am also a believer in letting the lemmings march off the cliff before I do. Let the first adopters suffer and fall off the cliff. I can wait.

I see no need to run desktop apps from my phone, but that is just me. I have an iPad and a tablet is fine for getting work done.

Really depends on what you want or need.

Upvote 0
I hate the look of the Windows phones. I downloaded a theme and for awhile, I had the basic look. Not for me.

At least they centred the UI now. Still, I cannot get over the fact that the home screen UI seems to be designed for monochrome screens. Do you remember the days where computer screens had only green pixels? It looks like the person who made the UI time travelled from the 1980's. Nokia should have tried to put the Symbian Belle UI on WP. At least it would look like it was made this millenium.

Upvote 0
At least they centred the UI now. Still, I cannot get over the fact that the home screen UI seems to be designed for monochrome screens. Do you remember the days where computer screens had only green pixels? It looks like the person who made the UI time travelled from the 1980's. Nokia should have tried to put the Symbian Belle UI on WP. At least it would look like it was made this millenium.

I wish they made WP look more like Windows 7 instead of making Windows 8 look more like this crap.

Upvote 0
lumia920headerimgwmed2.jpg

I just don't know what to say...

Upvote 0
lumia920headerimgwmed2.jpg

I just don't know what to say...

"Too much yellow" comes to mind. I'm going to assume that in WP that you can customize the colors of tiles and insert custom icons?

The physical phone's color, the yellow background with the black foreground, would be something that I assume would grow on me. My initial reaction is 'bleh'. It kind of has a retro feel to it. I think I could get into it after a little bit and enjoy it after that initial period, because it is interesting. But for putting it in my pocket, squared off corners are not something I would appreciate.

Upvote 0
"Too much yellow" comes to mind. I'm going to assume that in WP that you can customize the colors of tiles and insert custom icons?

The physical phone's color, the yellow background with the black foreground, would be something that I assume would grow on me. My initial reaction is 'bleh'. It kind of has a retro feel to it. I think I could get into it after a little bit and enjoy it after that initial period, because it is interesting. But for putting it in my pocket, squared off corners are not something I would appreciate.

It looks like a Bumblebee. I value my eyesight so I'm not even going to try to figure out those icons.

Upvote 0

I am also a believer in letting the lemmings march off the cliff before I do. Let the first adopters suffer and fall off the cliff. I can wait.

I see no need to run desktop apps from my phone, but that is just me. I have an iPad and a tablet is fine for getting work done.

Really depends on what you want or need.

Actually, you can't run desktop apps on your phone, or on the RT version of the tablet, just on the Pro version of the tablet and of course desktops (except for full MS Office which works on all versions of Win8). However, the apps made for the phone and RT tablet works for the desktop and Pro tablet, so you can work between your phone and desktop more seamlessly than possible on Android and iOS.

Plus since the Win8 OS and Xbox uses the same underlying kernel, porting Xbox games to the Win8 platform is now possible from what I hear. They're releasing Xbox Live games for Win8, they already have a list AFAIK.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones