• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wackiness with Exchange

sortsol

Mar 16, 2010
So,

I got an incredible yesterday. Been trying to get Exchange active sync to work. The problem is that no matter what option I choose in Schedule (as items arrive, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc...), the phone always defaults back to Manual. Nothing I do will make the change stick. I've tried a battery pull, deleting the account multiple times and re-adding it.

I even installed the trial version of touchdown to make sure push email was set up correctly on the server and it works perfectly in touchdown.

Any thoughts? I've done about everything I can think of. I don't want to buy touchdown because this should work for free :)

Thanks,

Mike

I've had different but similar issues with the built-in HTC mail client. Touchdown is your only other real contender.

There are a slew of limitations with the built in client. If I stick with this phone the conclusion I've come to is I'm going to have to run both to get the best experience (for me).

I would be interested to know if the built-in Motorola Droid exchange client works well. And, if yes, I wonder if it will or can be made available for this phone. It is my understanding from reading that the Droid was the first to come out with native support? (not sure) Would be nice to hear from an Exchange user about the difference in the experience between Incredible and Moto Droid.

Upvote 0
hmmm I haven't had this problem w/ the HTC sense one actually... Read my previous post... in HTC mail client...press menu while looking at your mail, then press "more" , go to settings, and to notification settings. When there, check it all. Then, make sure you go "back" through the eentire mail system so it saves. This worked to make it push for me. While there also change when u get em!

Upvote 0
The obvious questions that weren't asked or answered:

Did you select Active Sync as your type of connection?
Are you running Exchange 2003 SP2 or later?
Is Active Sync enabled on the server?

If you are using the OWA portal you might experience the behavior you are having. If you are using Active Sync and still having this issue I feel bad for you. My adventures in trying to find help for Exchange issues when the issue is obviously deeper than obvious high level problems has yielded very little help at all. Good luck, sir!

Upvote 0
The obvious questions that weren't asked or answered:

Did you select Active Sync as your type of connection?
Are you running Exchange 2003 SP2 or later?
Is Active Sync enabled on the server?

If you are using the OWA portal you might experience the behavior you are having. If you are using Active Sync and still having this issue I feel bad for you. My adventures in trying to find help for Exchange issues when the issue is obviously deeper than obvious high level problems has yielded very little help at all. Good luck, sir!

I don't see an area to choose active sync as the connection type. I'm trying to pick "As Items Arrive" in the connection schedule. I'm assuming that's what you mean. That's what is not working.
I am running Exchange 2003 sp2. Like I said touchdown works perfectly so I know the server is doing what it should be. The client just isn't :-(

Upvote 0
hmmm I haven't had this problem w/ the HTC sense one actually... Read my previous post... in HTC mail client...press menu while looking at your mail, then press "more" , go to settings, and to notification settings. When there, check it all. Then, make sure you go "back" through the eentire mail system so it saves. This worked to make it push for me. While there also change when u get em!

Thanks for the suggestion. I went through these steps, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Still get anything but Manual to stick in the Schedule settings.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion. I went through these steps, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Still get anything but Manual to stick in the Schedule settings.

Active Sync is something you would choose when you setup your account. Basically go tell the phone to forget and/or delete ALL your mail settings. Start from scratch. One of the dialog asks you what type of connection your mail server will use. It is really important to select Active Sync.

You might be already in which case this won't help you at all. But, if you are not currently that is very likely your problem.

Upvote 0
Active Sync is something you would choose when you setup your account. Basically go tell the phone to forget and/or delete ALL your mail settings. Start from scratch. One of the dialog asks you what type of connection your mail server will use. It is really important to select Active Sync.

You might be already in which case this won't help you at all. But, if you are not currently that is very likely your problem.

Gotcha... Yeah, I was choosing activesync at the beginning. Good thought though. Thanks for the suggestion. Does everybody else's phone work with exchange out of the box? Or do you have to use touchdown?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones